What would you give....

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...for this compressor? There this big compressor at work that hasn't been used since I've been there. All I know about it is it says sanborn on the tank and when I asked my co-worker about it he said it burned up a few years back.

View attachment image.jpg

see what that model would cost new??? I bought a used twin cyl compressor last year, it had a new big motor, but comp. needed a rebuild. here in poor *** Mo. I took it took compressor rebuilder shop, cost me like $90 for thru go thru it. burned up??? motor? plug it in and see what it does...

I you plan to do body work on your car, you will need plenty of air..

how long has it been sitting? If it's had any moisture in it the tank could blow apart the first time it's pressurized.

I haven't been able to read a thing off the info plate in the compressor, seems the painted the numbers on plate instead of stamping it and they all wore off. I'm guessing the compressor locked up. They never check the oil so I'm guessin THATS what it is.

Here's a pic of the current shop setup. Yes the compressor feeds into that big propane tank!!

View attachment image.jpg

"he said it burned up a few years back"

Just offer to haul it out of there to get it out of the way.

Offer him 50 bucks. Don't go more than 100. Should be able to get a motor and compressor cheap enough to make that pay. Spin the compressor and see if it's seized. PM me and I'll help you check out the motor electrically as long as you have a cheap multi meter.

I would think with that propane tank, it would make a GREAT system. I don't keep up with what propane tanks sell for, but probably pretty good $$. I give $60 a yr for the use of my tank. so any good one is more likely worth $300-400???? good luck......

I would think with that propane tank, it would make a GREAT system. I don't keep up with what propane tanks sell for, but probably pretty good $$. I give $60 a yr for the use of my tank. so any good one is more likely worth $300-400???? good luck......

$100 around here for used ones that they won't fill anymore. I have made a couple smokers over the years from them.

If you get a chance, hook the tank to pressure from the other compressor to check for leaks. The second test is unhook the belt and turn the pulley on the head, you should be able to tell if I makes air or it's locked up, if it turns freely it should be rebuildable. The last thing is the motor, even after a few years you should be able to smell the electrical burnt smell if it is fried. To answer your question no more than a few hundred depending on the problems that it has.

how long has it been sitting? If it's had any moisture in it the tank could blow apart the first time it's pressurized.

Caleb, this ^^^^.

Excellent advice. If it's been sitting and rusting from the inside out, walk away.

That's why you drain the water out once in a while. Scrap is down right now.

Tell them you will haul it off if they give you 20 dollars.

I leave the petcock cracked all the time. I turn my compressor on and off when I need it.

After seeing that video I think I would run. All of our compressors at work have timed drain valves that release the water every 20 minutes.

That's sorta freaky. Especially considering the fact that the other day they drained the tank at work and water ran quite a ways. My one coworker said that not long after he started there he drained the water and it ran for 30 minutes or more!! Apparently our bosses never check it.

That's sorta freaky. Especially considering the fact that the other day they drained the tank at work and water ran quite a ways. My one coworker said that not long after he started there he drained the water and it ran for 30 minutes or more!! Apparently our bosses never check it.
I can only imagine what the water looked like

Damn, that exploded tank didn't even look that rusty on the inside. I got a large brand new tank from Tractor Supply, love that thing but that video makes me want to build a cage around it.

It looked like it ruptured at the lower line where water seeped. This is why I am dedicating a portion of my outdoor shed to the compressor. Lock it up and leave it. Drain it weekly.

I don't see much value there. The tank is questionable, the pump may very well be far beyond economic overhaul.

So far as the tank danger you can EASILY hydrotest a tank yourself with a little effort.

WHAT YOU NEED

The tank and a place to work, go figure?

A water source, fill the tank as full as you can get with water. This means orienting the tank so that the water fill port is at absolute top.

A pressure source and accurate gauge such as a CO2 tank.

AFTER you have COMPLETELY filled the tank with water, hook up CO2 or other pressure source NOT oxygen!!!! !!! !! ! ! ! !! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!

And bring pressure up to tank hydrotest rating. You will have to research to find out what this is. It is going to be WAY over operating pressure, perhaps 1.5X or even 2X operating pressure.

One internet post I saw even used a grease gun head immersed in water.........to use the grease pump to build water pressure for the last pressure build

IF the tank fails the water will prevent a disasterous explosion.

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY you could ever get me to use an old tank like that without a hydrotest

-
Back