what would you pick?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I want to improve the brakes on my 72 Valiant. No racing, simply for safety. Also, I want to stay with SBP 14" cheapie steel wheels. I am mulling over 10" drums or a Scarebird conversion. Any word of wisdom? Any other suggestions?

i would use the scarebird disc setup, over the 10inch drums....going from 9 inch to 10 inch drums isnt exactly an upgrade.

Ditto on the Scarebird conversion. You will have to drill the Previa rotors for 4"D bolt circle. I recall he can do that for you, at least on the initial rotors. Going to 10" drums would require changing the spindles, which is not trivial unless you are doing a full front end rebuild at the same time.

How about a Mopar 65-72 SBP disk brake set up? You'll want the 67-72 master cylinder and front brake lines. It's designed for the car. If you need replacement parts, you just get the ones for a 72 Valiant with disk brakes. If you go this way, you may want to budget for rebuilding the calipers if only for your peace of mind.

KH disk brake spindles can be hard to find, and calipers and rotors for them aren’t cheap. You would need a disk brake / rear drum brake master cylinder. Probably a Scarebird brake conversion would be best solution for you.

http://scarebird.com/

Scarebird - just did it to my son's 65... Hardest part was removing the old studs without having the swedged part mess up the hub before pressing longer studs in place.... then just trivial stuff filing a little caliper here, little bracket there because not all callipers are cast the same....

Attachments

• scarebird.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 167
  • done.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 168
Iam in similiar with my 72 dillema I have a SSBC brake kit and 9 inch drums can i take 10 inch spindle and just use kit or do i need differant UCA,s etc... Dont meen to high jack. Thanks

-
Back