What Would You Use This For ?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend just gave us this bench. It's really heavy and I kinda like it. I'm thinking about refurbishing it for the garage. Just wondering, what was it's original purpose? It looks like it was built for something specific besides paint mixing LOL....

The side table swivels 360* and can be raised and lowered :cool:. What would you use it for in the garage besides stacking junk? LOL

Attachments

• Workbench 001.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 281
  • Workbench 005.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 287
Rebuilding transmissions!!!

Set a transmission on the swivel part, clamp it down, and it would be very handy for getting inside the case. Weld a small trough around the edge of the lower surface and attach a catch can on one end for draining them out without getting fluid all over the floor. And that drawer would make a nice place to keep all those tranny specific tools in.

If ya wanted to get really fancy, mount a swivel plate from the back of a motor stand and you'd be able to rotate the trans as well.

Its a painters bench. I have the same one but Im missing the swivel part. The top should be stainless and will clean up with some thinner.

rebuilding transmissions!!!

Set a transmission on the swivel part, clamp it down, and it would be very handy for getting inside the case. Weld a small trough around the edge of the lower surface and attach a catch can on one end for draining them out without getting fluid all over the floor. And that drawer would make a nice place to keep all those tranny specific tools in.

If ya wanted to get really fancy, mount a swivel plate from the back of a motor stand and you'd be able to rotate the trans as well.

x2

It's a piece of crap. Send it to me.

Years ago we owned a bake shop and my dad had a stand like that on the bench.He would set a cake(mostly wedding cakes) on it and spin it while decorating it.I think I still have 1 of those stands somewhere in the pile of stuff he donated to me when he sold his house and moved into a condo.:thumblef:

Thx for the ideas everyone. Have never built a tranny, just the R&R grunt work part......:naka: ;-). I'm not sure the swivel table is large enough for a tranny, but maybe carb rebuilding or something.

Interesting Adam, painters bench? What's the swivel part for in that scenario? I'll have to get some lacquer thinner and see if the top is stainless. That'd be even more reason to spruce it up!!

Cool story on the bake shop petty. I don't think making wedding cakes in the garage are in my future, but it does look like a perfect size for one.......cake 'n :icescrea: yum

Quote= Just wondering, what was it's original purpose?
Before we had computers we used microfilm and on th swivel pad is were the microfilm machine went to read mixing formulas to mix paint, on the larger side of the table was where the scales that the can of paint would set on The drawer was where all the different colors was on microfilm held in folders to locate the mixing directions 6pkC
Yes :bball: I have used one at our NAPA store to mix paint back in the day

I think the rotating table would be great for painting small to medium size parts. :)

Pretty cool Mike, you knew right what theat sucker was for.

Quote= Just wondering, what was it's original purpose?
Before we had computers we used microfilm and on th swivel pad is were the microfilm machine went to read mixing formulas to mix paint, on the larger side of the table was where the scales that the can of paint would set on The drawer was where all the different colors was on microfilm held in folders to locate the mixing directions 6pkC
Yes :bball: I have used one at our NAPA store to mix paint back in the day

Thank you for the explanation Mike. I was kinda wondering, but now it makes total sense to me and spot on. No wonder this thing is so full of paint everywhere :notworth:

I think the rotating table would be great for painting small to medium size parts. :)

Pretty cool Mike, you knew right what theat sucker was for.

I do a little bit of rattle can painting, good idea thx :thumblef:

-
Back