What ya-all know about refrigerant dye?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I recently ran across a YouTube video where this guy is claiming that "most modern vehicles" already have dye in the AC system. Anybody know if this is true? I'm thinking of buying a black light (ultraviolet) now that you can get them cheap, LED..............

Also "what" do I need to know to buy a black light? Are the cheap China ones "usable?" Or do I need to research around?

Bear in mind this is for "very" occasional use.................

I use them everyday....they may be in modern car ac systems, but they are not in old systems AFAIK. Any blacklight will work, if there is indeed any dye in the system.... leaks will show up as fluorescent green, under a purple (black) light.
If you think you have a leak, and there is no dye....you can buy the dye cartridges and add some....it will stain the refrigeration oil.... you need to run the system with the dye in there for a little while. Then just look for problem areas in the dark. HTH, Lefty71

I know FCA stared doing it in 2011 on some models, and now today on every model.
Screenshot_20220805-212443_Samsung Notes.jpg

I know most new GMs and Nissans have it from the factory also, but no idea about the other makers.

Also the yellow glasses help tremendously with the black light.

I bought a kit at oriley that came with a black light flashlight and dye, but no way to get it into the system.

I ended up using a seringe and put it in through a schrader valve. (System was completely discharged)

Worked great once I got the dye in.

Btw don't walk around the house with the flash light on in the dark. Eeeeeeweeeeee!

In the immortal words of Star lord "looks like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Screenshot_20220805-202108.png

Last edited:
UV flash lights have been a staple in the industry for years. You can add a small amount of the UV dye to most any system. Once cycled throuth the system for a few minutes, you can turn the lights out and use the UV flashlight(or a sniffer) to find small leaks. The capillary tube, if your system has one, is very suspect.

I bought the dye can that attaches to the low pressure valve.

Be aware that it's REAL EASY to spray the dye all over the valve, the back of the compressor, and the intake manifold.

If your leak is in that area, you'll never see it.

My leak was the pressure relief valve.

Somewhat difficult to find. The gas came out with so much pressure, it didn't really leave a trail.
Only spot that glowed under dye was the actual relief hole between the spade lugs. About 1/8 inch.

-
Back