What year??

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Guys, A buddy is looking at buying this car but we are having trouble determining what year it is. He will be going back to look at the fender tag but untill then here is a few shots, keep in mind it is a Canadian model as far as I know.
Thanks

DSCN1973.jpg

DSCN1974.jpg

DSCN1975.jpg

DSCN1980.jpg

He said it was a signet, custom 200, I wonder if that is the Canadian version of the dart, pillar says signet 200 also.
Thanks

I believe the Signet is the Canadian Version of the 66 Dart. It's probably a Plymouth (Valiant) instead of a Dodge also. Appears to be in a little better than average shape, especially for a northern car.

Dave

Canadian Valiants are made on the USA Dart platform. Looks like a '66 Valiant. You can see what is left of the "V A L I A N T" letters "A N T" on the hood.

Chuck

I believe it is a 66 canadian valiant Also known as a " Vart " on the web. Do a search on Vart on this site I bet you will find lots of info

Canadian Valiant info from valiant.org :

1966 was the last year for the distinctive Dart-based Canadian Valiant. The U.S.-Canada Auto Pact made it possible for manufacturers to ship from one side of the border to the other without the prohibitive import duties which had been levied previously. While Ford and GM (particularly Pontiac) continued marketing unique cars for the Canadian market, as far as I know Chrysler's unique Canadian efforts from 1967 to the middle 1970s were limited to the Fargo truck line and the occasional Canada-only model such as the Dodge Monaco convertible. I will cover this in greater detail in the epilogue.

It is my understanding that the low-end models based on the U. S. Valiant were dropped in '66, leaving only the Dart-based cars and the Barracuda, which was built in Detroit this year and onwards. As always, any comments or corrections are most welcome.

Bill Watson wrote:

Canadian Valiant wheel covers were like the American Plymouth Valiant, only with the Valiant emblem and not the Plymouth on the centre hub. The reverse this year was true for the "Valiant Signet" fender plates - ads showed them ahead of the wheel opening in the fender depressions, but production models had them between the opening and the front door. The Dart GT in 1966 had little air splits on the front fender tips with "GT" etched into them. The Canadian Signet had the windsplits, but less the "GT" etching.

The Barracuda had the Barracuda emblem on the steering wheel, rear window trim and front grille. Apparently early models had "Valiant" on the trunk, but I have only seen "Barracuda" nameplates on the trunk. The name "Plymouth", naturally, was nowhere to be seen.

Basic Dodge Dart Equivalent"Valiant" block letters replace "Dodge" block letters on hood. "Dart" block letters on front fenders near door leading edge missing and not replaced.

Model designation on C-pillar. '66 Dart dash and interior with exception of Valiant crest horn button as seen on '62-'65 Valiants. Hubcaps and wheel covers same as '66 Valiant, including full wheel cover as seen on U. S. model with Plymouth emblem in middle. No "Dodge" script in right hand corner of trunk. "Valiant" block letters between taillights as seen on '65 Dart-based Canadian Valiants.

Dart 270 EquivalentBelieved to continue under "Valiant 200" name although one source shows this as "Custom 200". All Canadian updates to basic Dart equivalent apply here with the following differences: (1) "Dart 270" nomenclature at back of lengthwise stainless moulding believed replaced by plain piece matching rest of moulding; (2) Pictures I have show model designation on B/C pillar; and (3) "Valiant" block letters located above moulding between taillights as seen on '65 Canadian Signet.

Valiant SignetThe Dart GT equivalent definitely continued under this name. All Canadian updates to basic and 270 equivalents apply here with the following additional differences: (1) "Valiant Signet" emblem applied to front fender in about the same location as '65 model; (2) Valiant crest in circle as seen on '65 U. S. Valiant and '65 Canadian "Custom 100" trunk lid replaced "GT" emblem on hardtop B-pillar; "Dart" block letters on rear quarter panel near taillight deleted; and (4) Fascia between taillights same as Dart except says "Valiant" instead of "Dodge".

Station Wagons - none were built.Valiant BarracudaBelieved identical to U. S. Barracuda with exception of "Valiant" nameplates replacing "Plymouth" nameplates. May also have continued with Valiant crest on horn button or sport steering wheel centerpiece, while U. S. Barracudas had Plymouth emblem in this position (but not on the rear window).

Incidentally, Canada was apparently a source for right-hand drive export Valiants. In 1982, I was on the island of St. Kitts in the British West Indies, where I saw a right-hand drive '66 Canadian Valiant 4-door sedan parked next to an Australian Valiant VC 4-door sedan. I recognized the VC as Australian, but not knowing the Australian Valiant history very well at that time I thought from the steering wheel location the '66 was Australian as well. It wasn't until many years later that I learned that the Australians never used a RHD version of the '66 Dart dash, nor did they use a Dart body shell until later.

Epilogue By 1967, Chrysler Canada had rationalized its model and marketing situation to the point where there was almost no difference between U. S. and Canadian offerings, exceptions being the aforementioned Monaco/Monaco 500 convertible and the Fargo line of cloned Dodge trucks. This included the belated introduction of the A-body Dodge Dart and the inclusion of the Valiant into the Plymouth line.

In fact, 1967 was the ONLY year since at least the end of World War II that ALL Canadian Dodges had different instrumentation from their Plymouth counterparts. The '68 B-bodies on both sides of the border (other than Charger and Super Bee) all shaared the same gauges, with the Charger gauge cluster appearing on the GTX and Road Runner in '70. By 1972 one could only tell a Dodge from a Plymouth from the inside by a few small emblems... ...and that was assuming your car was fitted with the correct emblems, which wasn't always the case in that era...

Chrysler Australia, possibly inspired by Canada's embrace of the Dart-based "Valiant", introduced the VE Valiant series in 1967. The VE was clearly strongly influenced by the '67 Dart. The later Australian Valiant Hardtop was essentially a '69 Dart with right hand drive and front sheetmetal somewhat reminiscient of (not identical to) a '70 Dart. And the Pacer Hardtop would have been familiar to American Swinger 340 fans, at least until the bonnet was opened...

The first Dodge Demon was actually a 1970 Canadian show car, featuring a Dart front clip on a lightly modified Duster body and done for a fraction of the cost of a typical show car. Chrysler Canada's history of "mix & match" showed the parent company the way not only on the Demon but on the Plymouth Scamp as well. (I remember seeing my first '71 Scamp from the back, thinking for SURE it was for the Canadian market only...) There may also have been a 1970 Valiant two-door hardtop without the Scamp name (essentially a Dart Swinger with a Valiant front clip).

In 1974, when Chrysler had quit importing the Hillman Avenger-based Plymouth Cricket from the UK [it was not brought in after 1972 but some were sold as 1973 models], Canadian Plymouth dealers got a badge-engineered Dodge Colt which was marketed under the Cricket name. Canadian Dodge dealers in turn got a "Dodge Arrow".

The first non-Japanese MoPar line made exclusively for the Canadian market was the '78 Plymouth Caravelle (actually first made in mid-1977), which was initially a Dodge Diplomat clone with modified grille and taillights; it lasted until its American counterpart died in 1989.

When the E-body (extended K-platform) Caravelle, based on the Dodge 400/600, was brought into Canada, the M-body version was called the Caravelle Salon...but the word "Salon" only actually appeared on the car when it was ordered with the Salon package. Stu McAllister wrote: “This always causes lots of fun at the auto parts counter, since we had two completely different cars with the same nameplate from 1982-89. Interesting marketing approach.”

There was a two-door front wheel drive Caravelle through 1986 which never appeared in the US.

With the introduction of the G-body sports model in '84, Chrysler Canada started on a different path. The Dodge Daytona was marketed in Canada as a Chrysler Daytona, and sold by Dodge-Chrylser and Plymouth-Chrysler dealers alike in Canada. This was later followed by the Chrysler Dynasty and Chrysler Intrepid. It appears that Chrysler Canada found this easier than creating Plymouth clones of Dodges, or for that matter than selling Dodge cars. The phasing out of Dodge cars was reversed in 2004 when the Dodge SX 2.0 was brought out to complement the Chrysler Neon.

Sparky, that's our 66 CDN Valiant, built on the US Dart body, 111" wheelbase. If you check the VIN tag on the driver's side door pillar, it should start with LP23x6xx.

Thanks for all the help guys, as usual this site has proven to be the very best. You can expect a new member when the car gets home as I have all ready filled him in about FABO and the people. This find is the thing we car nuts dream about. He was just out for a drive in the boonies last weekend and came across this 66 just a settin there so he went in to ask and sure enough its for sale, I can tell you that he is paying peanuts for it to, I told him if he wavers for an instant, I would be all over it like a pit bull on a poodle.
Thanks again I will pass the info on.

Thanks for all the help guys, as usual this site has proven to be the very best. You can expect a new member when the car gets home as I have all ready filled him in about FABO and the people. This find is the thing we car nuts dream about. He was just out for a drive in the boonies last weekend and came across this 66 just a settin there so he went in to ask and sure enough its for sale, I can tell you that he is paying peanuts for it to, I told him if he wavers for an instant, I would be all over it like a pit bull on a poodle.
Thanks again I will pass the info on.

Nice find!

Where abouts? Near Salmo, Ymir, Crescent Valley, Nakusp, etc?

Nice find!

Where abouts? Near Salmo, Ymir, Crescent Valley, Nakusp, etc?

It was in Riondale (spelling?) Take the Kootenay lake ferry over to Crawford Bay, $500 skins and it is solid, ahhhh sometimes you just get lucky. I take it you are familiar with our stompin ground?

It was in Riondale (spelling?) Take the Kootenay lake ferry over to Crawford Bay, $500 skins and it is solid, ahhhh sometimes you just get lucky. I take it you are familiar with our stompin ground?

Yup... home is the Slocan valley. My grandmother bought my Scamp at City Auto in Nelson.

That rear end is looking nasty! Lately the '66 Darts and Varts have been growing on me.

Yup... home is the Slocan valley. My grandmother bought my Scamp at City Auto in Nelson.
I just went up to Nakusp on Saturday to pick up some cedar fencing, that trip up that road is amazing, the Slocan, Silverton New Denver area is Gods country for sure. I live in Tarrys. Ya gotta love the West Kootenays!

With a little spit shine and TLC that Vart will be real nice
Sweet find

Sparky: I'm from the east kooteneys originally,(Cranbrook). I've bought some cars out of the Trail / Fruitvale area that were very rusty, Cominco? I've got some friends from Castlegar that say that the cars get better towards Nelson and Crescent Valley. Good find, that 66 Valiant. I know of one in Creston that is a 273 4 bbl auto that is very complete and very rusty.(frames are so bad, it won't support it's own weight) and it's still for sale. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know. I also have lots of 70-76 a body project cars and parts for sale, all located in Cranbrook if you or anyone else is interested. I live in Alberta, but I go there every 2 weeks to work on cars etc. (403) 394-2730 or [email protected]:-D

Sparky: I'm from the east kooteneys originally,(Cranbrook). I've bought some cars out of the Trail / Fruitvale area that were very rusty, Cominco? I've got some friends from Castlegar that say that the cars get better towards Nelson and Crescent Valley. Good find, that 66 Valiant. I know of one in Creston that is a 273 4 bbl auto that is very complete and very rusty.(frames are so bad, it won't support it's own weight) and it's still for sale. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know. I also have lots of 70-76 a body project cars and parts for sale, all located in Cranbrook if you or anyone else is interested. I live in Alberta, but I go there every 2 weeks to work on cars etc. (403) 394-2730 or [email protected]:-D

Mmmm..might you be Rick,s brother? If so we probably know the same people in Castlegar.
I will be needing some parts for the Swinger, I plan on starting it this fall. I will PM you once I get it in the shop and give it a good inspection. The drivers side frame rail is a little weak and I do not know if I should cap it or replace it, to be honest I,m kind of scared of that job never been down that road. I will be needing a dash pad as someone left 4 finger holes on the passengers side, I can picture the PO,s girfriend screaming as she destroyed the dash while he ran through the gears!
Looked at a Signet vert in Creston a couple of years ago baby blue vert auto, 273, looked great untill I noticed it sagging in the middle below the door pillars, what a shame it was a sweet little ride.

While on vacation, driving Hwy97 south of Penticton, we came upon (pretty sure) Okanagan Falls. Wanting to get a better view for a pic, we turned on (pretty sure, according to map) Green Lake Road which runs on the West side of the canal. Looking east we passed this yard with what looked like 2 early A-bodies in the distance. I zoomed in as best I could to get a couple of shots which are below. Since you guys are in the surrounding area, and are liking these, maybe worth a checkout. I've thrown in a couple of pics showing the pic before, the distinctive yard(bldgs) and zoom in.

Grant

map.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Haha, Hey Sid. Im still kickin', Just been busy with work and things of the sort. Ill peak back in from time to time now.. How are you?

-
Back