what yr is my 273??

-

jebjacksonlee

Reaction score
I have a 273 in my 65 barracuda and am curious how I can find out if that is the original motor. I found the numbers on the block under the heads on the front driver side, but they don't match any casting numbers I can find anywhere. Is there any way to tell or did they not put matching #'s? Is there a way to tell at least what yr it is? Thanks for any help..

PM = built at mound road plant
R = regular fuel
2778 - 10k calendar = Thursday, March 6, 1969
1493 - Engine built

if you look at the casting date numbers on the side of the block it should be close to oct to dec 1968.

is there much difference between the 65 273's and the 69 273's. I'm not sure what all has been done to my engine, but it was rebuilt a few yrs back and has a 4bbl. (dont know if it came like that)

I think they dropped compression in 68 and stop using the solid lifter camshaft. if a hipo engine there are other differences pistons etc. early 273 intake manifold and heads are different in how they attach.
are your intake bolts angled like all other sbm's or do they appear to be pointing up?

I also understand that 1968 was the year Mopar changed to the larger crankshaft pilot hole for the torque converter. At least they did for the 318 SB. Search if also true of the 273. If so, and you have the original tranny (cable shift) w/ original torque converter (fits original 18-spline input shaft), whoever installed the 68 engine should have put a special spacer ring over the torque converter's snout so it centered on the crank.

-
Back