What's a 65 273 and 4 speed worth?

-

WS08

Reaction score
whats a 273 complete and a complete 4 speed worth out of a 65 barracuda?

2 barrel or 4? How complete, running or core? Not knowing any of that, I'd say from 150 up. Big difference between "commando" version and 2 barrel version

One Million Dollars.jpg

Although the 65 833 is a fine transmission it HAS the ball and trunnion flange, which is not desirable as one that has the slip joint. Probably worth no more than a couple hundred to someone local who needs one as it would be expensive to ship since it's cast iron.

I sold a good running 65 273 2bbl complete long block with alt and front acc minus carb for $450 last week.....West Coast prices

I guess the real question is what are you wanting for it?

I can't give away 273's around here, and the early A body 4 speed is a trans totally unsupported by the aftermarket due to the small clutch, ball and trunnion tailshaft and the weight! However, the shifter mechanism, all of the linkage and Z bar stuff is worth good money, probably more than the motor and trans! I put the value at $200 if it comes with all of the supported linkage and shifter stuff!!

Following, since I have a running 65 273 "charger" motor with a 4 speed also, sitting around gathering dust.

I guess the real question is what are you wanting for it?

The real question hasn't been answered.
Is it a disassembled worn out pile of parts or a running engine with good compression and doesn't smoke?

Not sure if it runs.
It's in a 65 barracuda the guy has no title asking $1,000 and the sheet metal is toast seeing if it's worth anything close to that In parts

Not sure if it runs.
It's in a 65 barracuda the guy has no title asking $1,000 and the sheet metal is toast seeing if it's worth anything close to that In parts

Dreamer, if the body is toast. Barracuda parts bring good money but I would not pay half that, but it may be worth it. Early V8 accelerator linkage, steering link, 4 speed stuff. The 4 speed alone is worth good money. Early side cover, great gears, maybe low first? 273 forged 4 speed crank, adjustable valve train, great light bushed rods, rare closed chamber heads.

Last edited:
If it has all or most of the original interior parts and even just some of the exterior bits and peices that's where your money is.
Not in a core motor and trans.
I mean no offence by that, just that unknown condition means core units when you are the buyer.

The actual engine & trans are only worth a little bit if they are running. The shifter and linkages are probably worth more than the engine and are much easier to ship ( and therefore sell).
For a parts car like that I first consider what is in it for me. Then figure out what I can sell.

I too look down the line from the most expensive parts down to the table fodder, that has to be double what the sale price is! if you pay $1k you gotta see $2k in parts there! Not easy when it's an early A, everything needs to be in good shape and useable, otherwise you're just working to make your money back!! It would be a better buy at about $6-800!

just bought a couple of rusty 65's, didnt pay over $150 for either, paid $300 for a few that were zero rust cars. One is a GT with buckets and console floor auto, V8 no carb. I think the seller is hoping for an uninformed buyer, offer $400....unless that is the going price on the East Coast :D Seems many of these guys watch two episodes of Monkey Garage or Graveyard Cars and thinks they have a gold mine! If 65's are worth lots, I am rich, otherwise I just have a bunch of cool junk in my yard...

just bought a couple of rusty 65's, didnt pay over $150 for either, paid $300 for a few that were zero rust cars. One is a GT with buckets and console floor auto, V8 no carb. I think the seller is hoping for an uninformed buyer, offer $400....unless that is the going price on the East Coast :D Seems many of these guys watch two episodes of Monkey Garage or Graveyard Cars and thinks they have a gold mine! If 65's are worth lots, I am rich, otherwise I just have a bunch of cool junk in my yard...

Either way, you got cool junk!!!

Either way, you got cool junk!!!
thee benefits of 85 acres, no wife and a shop 2x larger than the house....you can drag as many old Mopars home as you want:lol:. Will eventually get rid of them except for the 67 GT Vert, my 7 year old daughter says its the one to keep...

-
Back