Whats a 71 340 block worth these days?

-

eksnolp

Reaction score
I have a 71 340 engine that is disassmbled. It has everything but the intake and distributor. It has one x head and one j head. It was pulled from the car and palleted when i got it. Any one have a current value on what something like this is worth? It is in parts. I am looking to sell it off and purchase a big block for my Dart.

I am very interested, I live in St. Cloud, MN, I have a 440 I could trade, needs a rebuild. I will send you a pm!

Depends on the bore and if it's cracked or not.

The way it is, anywhere from 700-1200.

So you think there would be value added getting the block and heads magnafluxed?
To guarentee no cracks or flaws would be great. Micrometer description of bores would too. Better yet buy a second X head to complete your journey to the high end of the value range. You can always sell the J head seperately.

exactly what is the difference between an x -vs- j head anyway?

X head has the factory 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust valves. J heads are usually 1.88 intake and 1.60.

My motor must have had the J heads worked to 2.02 or it was originally 2.02? The X and the J where on this running 340. Some say that the J head did come in 71 with 2.02 and 1.60, but books and experts say they where never factory made. I will have to further look into whether indeed a 2.02 J head was made in early 71.

I have buddy that just bought a 340 short block that needs built for 1500. I thought that was a fair price. Or atleast I would not feel to bad giving that for one.

I'm going to get the block and heads cleaned and Magnafluxed. I figured I need to know where I'm at. I had the heads Maged a few years back, but dont have the documents to prove. This time I will get the clean bill of health after the Mag.

That's funny, I just looked at a 71 Duster with a 340 that had one X and one J head.

I wonder if some of them came that way that year?

Steve

exactly what is the difference between an x -vs- j head anyway?
Nothing up until 1972. Both X and J heads came with 2.02/1.60 intake and exhaust valves on all 340 engines thru 1971. X heads 1968-1969. J heads 1970-1973. Compression dropped on all 340 engines in 1972 along with smaller intake valves using J heads.

-
Back