whats a 72 Swinger with 18k miles worth?

-

kmn5

Reaction score
Hi all
long story short, I inherited a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger with ~18k miles
(well my dad did, but he inherited it 10 years ago when he was 66 and too old to drive, and now he's 76 and giving it to me)

I know it has a V8 but I think it's just the basic model V8 and not a hemi.
The interior looks like it's brand new (really)
I'll get pics

but the exterior is faded
The car starts and runs and is driven on nice days locally, I don't trust taking it on the highway as the stopping distance is way longer then my regular car.

Just wondering what it's worth?
thanks

PS
also would it be better to keep the existing paint as it's original or paint over it with a cheap >$1k paint job?

Two door or four door? If it is a two door it is more desireable. If the body isn't completely shot it is well worth a great paint job. Need pics to tell what is worth. Keep it original.

Most likley a 318, 2 door. We'll need pic before we can give you an idea on what its worth.

I would try having the original paint buffed before having someone do a crappy 1K paint job. Any paint job that cheap isnt going to look good nd any good looking paint job will likely be more then the car is worth.

In 1972, there was only one V8 available. It was the small block 318. Sounds like it could be a cool car. Pics would be a big help though. Just because it has low milage doesn't mean it's nice. I had a 67 B-cuda form S 383 that had just over 800, yes eight hundred original miles. The car was thrashed though. It had been a race car in it's early life and then just sat in different yards from about 1972 on. So pics would be a big help.

Pics! :-D

mine doesn't have a metal top, is that better or worse?

DSC01209.jpg

driver-side3.jpg

thats a piece of black bark from the tree not a hole in the trunk

rear.jpg

interior.jpg

seats2.jpg

seats.jpg

pass-floor.jpg

driver-side.jpg

thats a 1973 dart with a 318. clean looking car though. not as desireable as a 1972 and down but still a good year because that beak front end can be replaced with the 70-72 front end and match the rear end. is that a dent o the drivers rear quarter panel? the paint looks as it it may shine up good if ya get it buffed out. looks like it has power disc brakes going by the master cyl. that car should stop great. power steering i assume, a/c and rear defrost. could be a cool car. as for worth. not really sure. i probably wouldn't pay more then $4000 for it. the int i would be affraid of it tearing along the seams because of its age. the chrome is beat and the top is dull and probably needs to be replaced. if you are thinking of selling it i would definatley take it to a good detail shop and let them loose on it. probably bring the value up quite a bit.

thats a 1973 dart with a 318. clean looking car though. not as desireable as a 1972 and down but still a good year because that beak front end can be replaced with the 70-72 front end and match the rear end. is that a dent o the drivers rear quarter panel? the paint looks as it it may shine up good if ya get it buffed out. looks like it has power disc brakes going by the master cyl. that car should stop great. power steering i assume, a/c and rear defrost. could be a cool car. as for worth. not really sure. i probably wouldn't pay more then $4000 for it. the int i would be affraid of it tearing along the seams because of its age. the chrome is beat and the top is dull and probably needs to be replaced. if you are thinking of selling it i would definatley take it to a good detail shop and let them loose on it. probably bring the value up quite a bit.

I agree with Joe. In this economy, I don't see many classics selling period, I would wait to sell when the economy rebounds.

these high quotes everyone throws out drive up the prices. I wouldnt give over 2500 for a plain 73. everyone wont sell for that but thats why you have to shop.

would you be interested in selling it? I'm interested, seems like a clean, basic car.

I see one thing that is pretty interesting on it, it has a rear mounted antenna.
About four years ago when the market was better than it is now, I sold my 73 Swinger that was White with a Blue intereior, 318 with a 4bbl and rally wheels all the way around for $1000. The car ran and drove great. It had a little rust in the 1/4's. The interior was nice other than a few little tears in the front driver seat. It took me a wile to get a grand for it. Your car is cleaner, but I would agree that it is worth no more than $2000-$2500. $4k is pretty high for a 73. I do believe that if you took it to a good detail shop and spent about $200, the car would look pretty sharp.

As for yours having the vinyl roof, it doesn't really have an effect on the value. If anything, it's a little less desirable. But not enough to worry about. If I were you, I would clean it up and enjoy the hell out of it. Thats how you would get the most out of it. Have fun and drive it.

Here's the one I sold for a grand. Like I said, it had a edelbrock 4bbl, rallys all around, plus more. I had just put new shocks on it. It was a fun little car to drive.
73swinger1.jpg

If you want to bring it in to CT I'll detail it and check everything out for you for a good price. I may even know a few people that are interested in it. pm me if interested.

Yup has factory ac, ut of course it's not cold anymore
power steering, a rear blower fan (guess thats old style defroster, as it doesn't have the electric element lines in the glass), power brakes
no dent on the driver's side, but some neighbor's kids tried to peal off that metal trim piece.
And there is a dent on the passenger side, there's no crease in the dent so I'm hoping a paintless dent repair place might be able to pop it out, (another stupid neighbor hit it when they backed out of their driveway, and since I wasn't there when it happened I have no proof they did it) :spiderma::angry7:

as for the power brakes, I think it would stop alot better it I had wider rubber
the current tires are factory size and narrow (by todays standards) and the brakes easily lock up if I press too hard

I see one thing that is pretty interesting on it, it has a rear mounted antenna.

Yeah it looks to be a dealer installed option, there's a switch on the lower part of the console by the parking brake that controls the antenna
Looking over the car I can see the original antenna hole on the front fender,

If you want to bring it in to CT I'll detail it and check everything out for you for a good price. I may even know a few people that are interested in it. pm me if interested.

Thanks for the offer
But like I said I'm not too comfortable driving the car on the highway, especially for any long trip.
Even when I leave myself big gaps between me and the car ahead to allow for longer stopping distance. Other cars always try to fill in the gap. And I know if they had to panic stop I would prolly crush their crap boxes. :-D
I have to say this Dodge feels solid like a tank! :thumbup:

That car will stop better than you think. It's got disc brakes and only weighs about 3200 lbs. The rear brakes like to lock up in a panic situation, but if you know it's coming you can prevent it. I have found that my Swinger stops about as well as my '91 Honda Accord.

If your rear brakes are locking up I would check out the rear wheel cylinders. If I slam on mine sometimes they will lock up but I really have to be slamming on them for that to happen. In normal stopping and even fairly quick stopping they don't lock at all. I could be wrong but I'm just saying there is no reason to be scared of them with disc brakes these cars stop great, so if yours are locking up in just normal stopping you have a problem. Good Luck Justin

Could have a leaking axle seal which would drip gear oil on the shoes and cause the brakes to lock up.

If your rear brakes are locking up I would check out the rear wheel cylinders. If I slam on mine sometimes they will lock up but I really have to be slamming on them for that to happen. In normal stopping and even fairly quick stopping they don't lock at all. I could be wrong but I'm just saying there is no reason to be scared of them with disc brakes these cars stop great, so if yours are locking up in just normal stopping you have a problem. Good Luck Justin

hmmm my dart's brakes seem to be on the touchy side, cause it'll lock up in fairly quick stopping, so far I've learned to take it easy and I'm always ready to lift off as soon as it starts to screech (I had always assumed the tires were too weak for the brake/pad setup, and not gripping enough)

Could have a leaking axle seal which would drip gear oil on the shoes and cause the brakes to lock up.

thanks I'll check it out

-
Back