Whats a Barracuda worth?

-

Mopar Boy

Reaction score
Hey all. I am new to this here neck of the woods. Not to Mopars, but to A bodies!

Looking at purchasing a 1966 Formula S Barracuda. It is for sale by a guy that purchased it new, but it has sat for the last 15 years as it needed some things. Will give the best description I can.

Car is clean. Would say about a condition 1.5-2. It is wearing an older repaint that was done in the 70’s but still looks great. Original 273 is long gone. In its place is a 340. Motor was rebuilt about 15 years ago. After some issues with the motor and having moved away from the builder, he parked it. Has been run several time over the years but has not really moved under its own power. Carb needs to be rebuilt and motor still needs to be rectified. He is not sure if it has hardened valve seats or not, and the compression is down at 8.5:1.

Car otherwise is pretty clean. Mileage is in the 50K’s I believe. It is a 4 speed and is OK although not sure about clutch. I imagine either way it will need a full tune up and going through having sat for so long.

It does come with an assortment of spare parts.

The question is whats a good price? I am trying to do my research as I do not know what is a fair price and I do not want to lowball him either. Thats just not right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to FABO from Lakefield!! 1st thing you can do is buy a UVIP pkg to verify he is the only owner. Take in the vin and $20 to MTO. Next does it have a build sheet or fender tag to verify it is a formula s?? When you say clean, do you mean inside the car, or underneath?? Big difference cuz a car can sit for a very long time and start to rot severely while the interior stays intact. My car I bought almost 20 years ago never seen the road at all since I bought it, I had Mr. T go thru the 4 spd and chk out my 8 3/4. Everything was good. Cost I think $140 to chk them both out. What year is the 340? Does it have 340 manifolds? All glass there? How bout the chrome?? If it is super solid underneath, which is hard to find up here, maybe in the $3500 range. Definitely need pics to give it a fair assessment. If you can get pics of the fendertag, someone on here can decode it for you. Good luck!!

Steve

Thanks for the responses!

Fender tag, Vin and broadcast all check out. So does vehicle background. He does have all paperwork from factory and original bill of sale. No question about that, all is legit there. Is confirmed that it is also a factory formula s.

As for clean, inside, underneath, and exterior - all good. It has been stored covered in his garage so no issues from storage in that way. Also was never driven in the winter either. Something my father confirmed as he has known of this car since new.

Will see what I can do regarding pics.

$3500? Was thinking more like $12-15K! ;)

EDIT: Sorry. Maybe I did not clarify. Car is complete and assembled. All glass is there and trim.

If it's a straight rust free car, I think it's worth more like $5-6000. Be prepared to buy new tires and to go through the brake, cooling, and fuel systems considering the length of time it's been sitting.

2 years ago come this sept I bought my 65 Barracuda project car in primer but very solid and rust free for $2500. I probably paid too much for it by todays prices but at the time I think it was a good deal and I did buy it from a very well trusted friend. My car is a 273 Commando/auto car but is not a Formula S car. I'm still happy with what I paid for it and it came with a ton of extra parts. About the only things I can think of that are missing was a motor, windshield, and one rear wheel well molding. I think the 66 You're looking at could be very well worth double or more of what I paid, especially being a 4 speed car. I wanted to convert mine but it just takes too much cash to do so.

Here's mine the day I got it home.
cudahome1.JPG

P.S. Welcome to FABO

Thanks again for the welcome!

Nice looking 65 you got there! :)

Working on getting pics from the seller and then to post them.

-
Back