What's a fast easy way to clean this?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
Replacing the water pump and radiator so I want to clean this up. I'd like to just spray something on and towel wipe it off. What's out there? Carb cleaner worked ok. I'm going to mask off and spray paint it after. What do you use?
Engine pic.JPG

you mean the old gasket?
or the inside?

oven cleaner for the inside, wirewheel the gasket surface

If your talking about the front of the block just spray it down with brake cleaner,rinse it off with water blow it dry and go from there..

These discs have aluminum oxide abrasives in them. If that stuff gets into the cooling system, well, good luck keeping water pumps alive. The abrasive will find its way into the bushings/bearings and cause a very short replacement interval.

Same thing goes for most 3m 'scrubby pads' and craytex also. Razor blade is best, wire wheel otherwise. Nothing with abrasive media should come close to an open engine unless it's headed for a jet wash afterward.

Learn something new everyday.

I did it the hard way, way back when :(

First headgasket I did - went to town on the deck with a little 3m scrubby. Low mileage motor without any issues (was swapping turbo, required head off thus the headgasket). Everything went back together great until a few thousand miles later. Rod knock appeared and my turbo crapped the bed about the same time. Looking at the bearings afterward it was obvious something had gotten in the oil. Despite my efforts to plug the openings on the engine's deck, it wasn't enough. Did some searching/reading, and sure enough, the 'real' 3m pads are impregnated with alum oxide. Anything that came in contact with or pumped fluids in that engine was hosed. The little particles embedded in the bearing material and slowly ate away on the steel surfaces.

Was a tough lesson for a broke high school student.

Just in case.
DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT PAINTING INSIDE THERE! :D

It'll just come of and plug up your radiator.

clean the old gasket off with a wire wheel. Then spray with parts cleaner to get any grease and left over residue off...

Then assemble...

clean the old gasket off with a wire wheel. Then spray with parts cleaner to get any grease and left over residue off...

Then assemble...
Good info everyone. Not going to paint in there. Sure wish the Chrysler Engineers who designed those bolt holes to go into the water jackets would have been fired three days before the BigWigs said yes!

Good info everyone. Not going to paint in there. Sure wish the Chrysler Engineers who designed those bolt holes to go into the water jackets would have been fired three days before the BigWigs said yes!

Chase the threads in the block with taps before assembling. Chase the bolts with a die...

They will assemble much easier...

The fastest way to clean it is to find a good woman... LOL!

Chase the threads in the block with taps before assembling. Chase the bolts with a die...

They will assemble much easier...

That's only really reasonable if you have the taps and the pan is off. :D

The Blazing Saddles reference is good.
Funny as hell movie.

-
Back