What's a good replacement brake shoe

-

Marshall

Reaction score
Hey

I was just wondering what kind of brake shoes everyone was using for there 10 Inch brake drums? I have a 67 Barracuda with SBP all around and 10 inch brakes and i can not find the correct brake shoes or drums without paying the high prices at say yearone for example. There must be something i can substitute that's more readily available isn't there? I was doing research and i read somewhere that fifth avenue brakes would work even though there wider? i'm just unsure and don't want to spend the money on something that's completely wrong. I'm willing to change the drums, shoes and the back plate and whatever else as long as i can just get brakes that will work. The other problem is (well maybe its normal i have no idea) the rear end is a 8 3/4 with SBP and the brake shoes are thinner then on the front so won't they have to come from a different source?

Thanks
Marshall

Firm Feel has the right shoes. I had to send in a set of rear cores for re-lining - so what ever you do hang on to the old shoes.

B.

Front linnings are thicker material than rears. Thats normal even with modern 4 wheel disc brakes in most cases.

Hey,
Thanks for the replys, i tried midas, partsource and crappy tire and they were all a no go but never thought of napa so i'll give them a call once they open. Yeah maybe i'll have no other choice then to get them re-lined. Oh ok i didn't know that about the fronts thanks for the info

Marshall

Last time I needed that brake shoe Carquest had them. It was a few year ago though.

Ebay , bought 3 sets , just in case they get hard to find

i got mine at
NAPA........???
Thanks I went to Napa and actually got everything I needed but the adjustment kit but I was able to use parts I had from other kits so it worked out great.

Will the fronts work on the rears?

As far as I know the fronts won't work, on mine anyway they won't the rear end is an 8 3/4 and the shoes on the back are thinner then the fronts like the actual stopping material part if that makes sense

Thanks I went to Napa and actually got everything I needed but the adjustment kit but I was able to use parts I had from other kits so it worked out great.

As far as I know the fronts won't work, on mine anyway they won't the rear end is an 8 3/4 and the shoes on the back are thinner then the fronts like the actual stopping material part if that makes sense

It makes perfect sense , can you give me the NAPA part numbers for the rear shoes ?

It looks like the Raybestos part number for 10" front shoes is 332PG. There's no part number listed for the rears for 67, but for '69 they list 331PG, which are 10x1.75" as well. I think the webbing is slightly different, but might work.
You could always check the picture of the 331PG from Raybestos' site buyer's guide to compare to what you've got...

http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal...BXQw93IwMD7wBTA08jEzNTv5BAIwNTA_2CbEdFAF3r5XU!

EIS, Wagner and Raybestos are the top three that come to mind. I recommend riveted shoes.

thanks guys I'll try to get the Raybestos I guess , to bad about the difference tho , I did the front disc swap with about 100 miles in the front drums and shoes, it would have been nice to be able to use them

-
Back