whats a good set of heads

-

ramman7284

Reaction score
whats a good set of heads for a la318
i stated in other threads ive done that i wouldnt mind geting around 400 ponies im just curious as to whats out there cause ive read a few posts that the rpm eddys have been crap lately

You can run some 340 or 360 heads on it. If you get a set of heads with 1.88" intake valves, you can have any valve guy open them up to the 340 2.02" valves. With a little porting, they will run like a raped ape...

However, swapping the 340/360 heads onto a 318 may bring your compression down about 1 point. (like from 10.5 to 9.3)

talk to brian at imm engines.get his rhs heads.hard pressed to get anything that will work as good for the money.........

I've just built a 318 with 915 "J" heads

I had 2.02/1.6 Ferrea 5000 valves installed

I cc'd the combustion chambers to compare the standard 318 heads to the J heads before and after the bigger valves were installed.

1973 318 heads 1.78/1.5 valves 66.5cc

915 J heads with 1.88/1.6 valves = 70cc

915 J heads with 2.02/1.6 valves = 66.5cc

Deck has been surface ground, but no more height has been removed than is necessary.

I used KB399+0.030" dome top pistons which require no notching of the bores whatsoever.

Cam is a hydraulic Comp Thumpr. Piston to valve clearance is approx .180" (lots!!)

CR is calculated at 10.39:1

engine should be capable of 350 hp with the right intake and exhaust.

port work and a more aggressive camshaft should push a similar combo to 400hp in my opinion.

Hope Some of this information is relevant and useful. Frosty.

Some that ain't cracked.

I'd recommend the EQ Magnums for new heads, or a set of LA heads with performance pistons.

Well...for cfm gain...the 360 heads milled down equal chamber volume as a 318 head would get you ahead of a stock 318 casting by 35 cfm, 210/215cfm 360 HEAD w/1.88 as opposed to a 318 heads 170/175cfm w/1.78 fwiw

Its safe to say that the cheapest heads with least amount of modification good for 400hp are run of the mill 360 heads.

id get a set of 360 heads its just that where im from its chevy land here and people have told me for cheap performance to get a 360. im on craigslist like every day and i dont see any on there at all if there is they are asking a grip for them i could even ask junk yards here they really wouldnt have anything one has a 440 from 74 for 500 bucks id get it but i want to keep my car a small block ill drop a 440 in my dream truck when i get it

318 heads with KB167 pistons are probably the most cost effective choice for any motor producing up to about 320hp if you already have them.

If you want more power than that it may be a worth while idea to look out for some 360 heads and go with the KB399 pistons.

There is a massive 11.2cc difference between the KB167 and KB399 pistons.

With KB167 pistons you would have to mill 360 heads a massive 0.053" to get the same compression ratio as KB399's and unmilled heads.

0.060" is considered to be the limit for milling heads.

IMO If you were to compromise and build your motor to make about 350-360 hp you probably wouldn't have to do any substantial port work to 340/360 heads and could get away with a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft and it would last.

It would be more reliable, probably only cost about 2/3 as much and be a lot nicer to drive around town.

In Australia it's completely normal to pay upwards of $1200 for a 360 motor that runs.

And they're not getting any cheaper lol.

What's the budget look like?
frosty - How many do you want at that price :) ?? I'll crate and ship to the CA port...lol

id get a set of 360 heads its just that where im from its chevy land here and people have told me for cheap performance to get a 360. im on craigslist like every day and i dont see any on there at all if there is they are asking a grip for them i could even ask junk yards here they really wouldnt have anything one has a 440 from 74 for 500 bucks id get it but i want to keep my car a small block ill drop a 440 in my dream truck when i get it

we all live in chevy land ... keep looking 360 heads are all over the place on the cheap and money ahead even after the milling and rebuild

i know i need to keep looking junk yards around here dont keep good engine parts inside the one near me that has a bunch of old stuff has cars with no hoods and engines with no intakes on them just getting water in them cause theres a 68-70 charger big block there half the car is gone but still has the motor just no intake to it sad sight for a mopar guy but i gota keep looking tho i want my quarter panel fixed first

i know i need to keep looking junk yards around here dont keep good engine parts inside the one near me that has a bunch of old stuff has cars with no hoods and engines with no intakes on them just getting water in them cause theres a 68-70 charger big block there half the car is gone but still has the motor just no intake to it sad sight for a mopar guy but i gota keep looking tho i want my quarter panel fixed first

ur talking about sweetwater?

There are all kinds of 360's/heads at ecology in oceanside.

What's the budget look like?
frosty - How many do you want at that price :) ?? I'll crate and ship to the CA port...lol

Dave...I get first crack at any 360 longs you have lying around before Ian (Frosty) gets his slice of the pie! :D

Back off Frosty....you have a 904 to get working......:tonqe: ;)

Any 340/360 head is fine. Just plan to replace the exhaust rotators on the exh valves with plain stock retainers and match the springs to you camshaft.

You will need to go to an aftermarket piston to get decent compression. Have you looked into a magnum head conversion?

look in truck yards or the truck section of your local junk yard
I find 360's all the time in trucks and vans, a 5.9 magnum is a roller cam 360 and a great option

ive thought about the magnum but not to many of those engines just laying around here

-
Back