What's a good way to initially tighten push rods after rebuilt?

-

parrainx

Reaction score
I just rebuilt my /6 and about to intstall the push rods back in, i know on adjustment its good to have the engine running.

I need to get to some kind of point at first where i won't be way out of adjustment on the first start up so my push rods are not all flopping around.

Thanks guys.

In my opinion, setting valves "running" is silly. So you can use this same procedure, hot or cold

When cold, add about .002" to the hot lash specs

In order to be sure you have the valve you are adjusting on the "backside" of the cam, do this

EOIC

Which means

When the EXHAUST starts to OPEN, you adjust the intake for that cylinder

When the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED, adjust the exhaust for that cylinder

This method works on any engine from a Briggs to a Merlin

In my opinion, setting valves "running" is silly. So you can use this same procedure, hot or cold

When cold, add about .002" to the hot lash specs

In order to be sure you have the valve you are adjusting on the "backside" of the cam, do this

EOIC

Which means

When the EXHAUST starts to OPEN, you adjust the intake for that cylinder

When the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED, adjust the exhaust for that cylinder

This method works on any engine from a Briggs to a Merlin

I couldn't agree more. It's actually kinda dangerous. You can end up with a wrench in the eye. Not a good day. I never recommend adjusting while running, I don't care what anybody or any repair manual says. It's stupid.

I couldn't agree more. It's actually kinda dangerous. You can end up with a wrench in the eye. Not a good day. I never recommend adjusting while running, I don't care what anybody or any repair manual says. It's stupid.

i tried it once... even had the long extension and a swivel on it... got it down to 900rpm and man you better hang on! almost lost my socket in the motor...

no more running lashes for me...

I have dun it running a couple times myself, but I enjoy doing it with the plugs pulled out and take my time..... more time out of the house and knowing I dun it right, heck I enjoy it.

I have dun it running a couple times myself, but I enjoy doing it with the plugs pulled out and take my time..... more time out of the house and knowing I dun it right, heck I enjoy it.

no need to pull the plugs mike... just get a bump starter and use that...

-
Back