What's an 8 3/4 A-Body Rear End Worth

-

Joe Dokes

Reaction score
Met a guy yesterday and started talking cars. Told him I was working on a Dart and needed a rear end. My current car has an 7 1/4 rear and will not hold up to the 6.1L Hemi I am going to drop into it.

He's got a friend who has a 8 3/4

Here's what I know for sure:

A-Body Width
very clean, no rust, no pitting
very complete drum to drum brake hardware looks good, brake lines and hardware look to be in good to excellent condition
Includes Super Stock Springs
Small Bolt pattern

Here's What he claims, met him seems credible.

3.23 Open diff
Recently rebuilt came out of a car that was hit in front of his house.

Wants 800.00 including springs.

The nice thing about the rear is that I could drop it in the car and get it going and add a sure grip and a better ratio later.

So let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

doesnt sound like a bad deal to me especially with springs included, you figure it would cost more to piece one together and thats more hassle, this one is complete, if i were you i would buy it. but it wouldnt hurt to try to doing a haggling either, see how firm price is

$800 is a little high, but if you're staying with the SBP axles, and all the hardware, drums, shock plates, and U-Bolts are there, it's not too terrible.

You could buy a 3.23 open diff for around $150, maybe less depending on the carrier.
SS Springs are $240/Pr from Summit.

- my 2 cents.

I have seen A body diffs around here for 5-7 hundred with an open center and without springs. That's why I went B body in mine, couldn't afford the A.

I would certainly make a reasonable offer and see what he says.

500 max for the rear and another 100 for SS springs

I've sold quite a few of these and without a sure grip, I've NEVER sold one for more than $500. Most were in the 400-450 range. Offer $500 for the lot, and see what happens.

That's not a bad actual selling price for the seller as it's not 2005-2007 anymore. Even then when prices were pretty high, they never got more than $500 out here unless you had someone desperate and had to have it, which never happened to me. I've taken them to spring and fall fling, asking $400 for a 3.23 rear and came home with them all but once.

I've got one here in Indio, 3.23 open that I really don't want to sell, you can have for $450.

wow really i havent seen any much lower anywhere near me, housings for 300, open centers 250, plus brakes, drums axles,and springs on top of that, but then ive never been good at finding good deals so maybe you shouldnt listen to me, i would go with one of these other guys advice they seem to know more than i, hope i didnt unintentionally steer you in wrong direction.

Just for reference purposes, I found an A body complete rear with suregrip (don't remember the gears) in the Detroit area for 1200.00.

I know that's way high, and would never pay it, but that was the price.

Most A body complete rears around here are in the 600.00 range.

I pieced mine together with everything new except the suregrip and had $1300 bucks in it.

Yeah too high. Since I already have one, I'll go 10 bucks. See....it's worth what somebody is willin to pay. How bad you want the thing? 800 bucks worth? Then go buy it. That's what you gotta figure out. Nobody else can do that for you.

Around here housings and axles are $350-$400 asking and gears are $150-$300asking. I paid $300 for a freshly rebuilt 742case 3.55 SG in '09. (guy got out of mopars)

Yes that doesn't include the $40-$50+ for the drums and $40-$50+ for the shoes and hardware.

As for the springs used $100-$150 more $240 new....

Thats just prices around here for your comparison.

-
Back