Whats an Iron Duke Trans?

-
Google it up, there is alot of info and applications listed.

Jim

google mostly lists chevs but there alot of other cars and nothing mopar specific, not sure what makes it be called that

Iron Duke is as I know it a gm engine that came in a number of vehicles but most famed in the old Jeeps. Never heard a trans. called the Iron Duke.

Fireo Trans/Trans axle... The Iron Duke is the 4 cyl. cast iron engine in the early Fiero... I have one of the rare Banshee Fieros in my garage... That would be my guess... So GM it is... John(onecatnodog)

The only Iron Duke I am familiar with is the 1977-1993 Pontiac 2500, 151, 2.5L, Cross Flow, or Tech IV engine(depending on what they called it at the time). Last summer I heard a guy at a car show refer to having an "Iron Duke" transmission in his '68 Charger when he was young, which I assumed to be the A833, but he was sitting in front of a Mustang so I just went away saying to myself, ya...ya...ya....

Iron Duke is a old Chevy four cylinder. Used a lot by Mercury Marine in inboard boats lately.

My Dad's 1989 GMC S-15 has the duke in it, 2.5L. The 5-speed is a T-5 if I'm right, throws are pretty long with the truck shifter on it. It's not the "world class" T-5 with the upgraded(bearings?) parts like the mustangs use. Insert disclaimer here: :!:

I'm and old guy. I've never heard anything referred to as an "iron duke" except the little GM 4 whanger it was originally tagged to.

Never heard of an Iron Duke trans. I had always heard the term applied to the near indestructible 153 inch Chevy 4 cylinder. (From back in the 60's).

Being an old fart. The "IRON DUKE" was a 4cyl used back in the early to late 60's Chevy's and was a smaller version of the 230/250 chevy 6 cylinder.

The engine is half a Pontiac V8 with a lot of improvements.

The engine is half a Pontiac V8 with a lot of improvements.

Negative Ghostrider. That was the Trophy 4. It was half of a 389, a slant 4, if you will. It came in the early 60's Tempest (which also had a rear transaxle).

Negative Ghostrider. That was the Trophy 4. It was half of a 389, a slant 4, if you will. It came in the early 60's Tempest (which also had a rear transaxle).

Yup and I remember jacking one up from the rear. I put the jack right under the torque converter!

I'll bet the trans mission is the big NP435 transmission that came behind one of his truck engines for sale. Probably the 361. I've never heard them called this but Im just guessing that is what the guy is refering to. They are a big hunk of iron!
Funny, he wont post a picture of it and just assumes that everyone knows what he is talking about. LOL!!

A good friend of mine bought a Nova from his aunt and it had an Iron Duke in it,
He owned Apperson Automotive here in Tujunga,CA.

He is a GM guy, started with them right out of high school.

He told me that the engine uses Chevy small block rods, pistons, bearings, etc.

That Nova was a 60s' era all original car.

He pulled the engine and kept it, then built the car for serious racing.

It's been a number of years since I've seen the car, last I was up there he was putting in sheets of some black sound deadening material on the floorboards and kick panels.

It looked like kinda like black tar in sheet form, you peel off the paper from one side and place that sticky side down.

The stuff was like $75 a sheet, and the sheets were not very big.

Ear plugs are a dollar.... so to each his own.

-
Back