whats causing this

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
Wow…you certainly do. You need to stop driving the car immediately; it's really unsafe in that condition. Your pitman and idler arms are loose on their mountings, as it seems. Your centre link may well be loose at one or both ends where it attaches to the pitman (driver's side) and idler (passenger side) arms. There may also be wear and/or looseness in other components such as the tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and strut rod bushings. You need to have a good, qualified shop do a careful inspection of the entire front end. You may be lucky and wind up getting away with just tightening the loose nuts, but don't count on it; you are likely looking at replacing parts. Be prepared for collateral damage if the car has been driven over a long distance and/or time with this looseness; the parts are not meant to rock and slam against each other as happens when they're loose.

yep idler arm,

got aamco on it, gotta drive 20 miles tonight before it gets fixed.

hopefully I'm still around to take it into shop tomorrow morning :)

Thanks guys

i pray for no colateral damage.... :prayer::prayer:

ok then what qualifies as a qualified shop...

Nobody here can answer that unless they live say, within 10-20 miles of you

NONE of the "big name" stores, Aamco, Midas, Sears, etc, are worth your time. What you want is a local independent shop that's been in business, preferably more than 20 years, and you can actually find local people who have traded there with good feelings.

alright I found my place....
http://daviswiki.org/A-1_Body_Shop
previous owner took car there once, guess I'll be wise enough to follow in his foot steps....

it was nice of ammco to look at it for free and point out a couple things... (wheel bearings, transmission brushing is bad, try to track down my darn drive train noise)

(eh body work only...)

wheres waldo, she over here
http://daviswiki.org/Bernards'_Tire_Brake_&_Alignment

guy there just called me to say my car is is very good shape beside idler arm :) he was singing some praises on the condition of my car. maybe he was just warming me up for the $300 price tag to replace the idler arm, pack wheel bearings, and do alignment.

either way I think I just came up with a name for my car, waldo... stands out in a crowd.

-
Back