Whats it worth? 73 Dart Sport

-

Aussiemopars

Reaction score
I found a 73 Dart Sport with original 340/4sp and factory sunroof for sale. WIW??

VIN LM29H3B .
Fender Tag
N76 = Coolant recovery system.
N95 = Emission Control System (Calif reqt)
R11 = Solid state AM Radio
26 = 26 inch wide radiator
EN1 = End of sales code
G37 = Remote outside left racing mirror and chrome manual right
M21 = Roof drip rail moldings
M25 = Wide sill moldings
N41 = Dual exhaust
N42 = Chrome Exhaust tips
V4X = Black body stripe
U = body strip Upper, or could denote raised white letter tires. Would
depend on build sheet.
A88 = Interior Décor group (w/L1, C4, C6. i.e. woodgrain décor w/black trim)
B41 = Power disc brakes
C56 = Dual reclining bucket seats. Or could be a misprint. If it was meant
to be C65, seats were fitted with 'air-foam' option.
C73 = fold down rear seat
FY1 = Top Banana yellow paintwork
F6X9 = Black vinyl bucket seats and associated trim
B22 = 9"x2" rear brake drums.
213801 = production date
E55 = 340 4barrell V*
D21 = Manual 4 Speed transmission

340 Dart.jpg

Does it run,numbers matching,shape of interior,shape of body?

I found a 73 Dart Sport with original 340/4sp and factory sunroof for sale. WIW??

VIN LM29H3B .
Fender Tag
N76 = Coolant recovery system.
N95 = Emission Control System (Calif reqt)
R11 = Solid state AM Radio
26 = 26 inch wide radiator
EN1 = End of sales code
G37 = Remote outside left racing mirror and chrome manual right
M21 = Roof drip rail moldings
M25 = Wide sill moldings
N41 = Dual exhaust
N42 = Chrome Exhaust tips
V4X = Black body stripe Black vinyl canopy top
U = body strip Upper, or could denote raised white letter tires. Would
depend on build sheet. US spec car
A88 = Interior Décor group (w/L1, C4, C6. i.e. woodgrain décor w/black trim)
B41 = Power disc brakes
C56 = Dual reclining bucket seats. Or could be a misprint. If it was meant
to be C65, seats were fitted with 'air-foam' option. Bucket seats
C73 = fold down rear seat
FY1 = Top Banana yellow paintwork
F6X9 = Black vinyl bucket seats and associated trim
B22 = 9"x2" rear brake drums. Production date Nov 22 1972
213801 = production date Vehicle Order Number
E55 = 340 4barrell V*
D21 = Manual 4 Speed transmission

Corrections to the data tag info in blue, HTH

These cars are a tough sell unless they are an odd color, petty blue.

It's got some stuff going against it, first and foremost, it's a 73. I wouldn't pay more than about 2500 for that car, looks like it's got some rust in it. Even finished, it would be hard to sell for 10-12K is my guess.

If memory serves me well (sometimes it doesn't), I believe the production number for a 340, 4 speed '73 Dart Sport is 1,099.
It's a low production number car with a sunroof to boot.
How much is it worth? In Australia yet!

yeah..most people look for a 71 and older Mopar. The 73 is the last of the 340's.....smogged down but if you have to rebuild it, why not boost it up?
Very cool car....Very rare and optioned out! There wasn't even many High Impact colors by 73...lemon twist was one.....wish mine had a sunroof!
I see someone removed the big bumper guards....I don't care for mine either..

DSCN2732.jpg

There is only one listed in Mopar Collectors Guide (MCG) the asking price is $10.000 USA.

Many people kind of look down on the '73s but I happen to like them. (Yes, I own one.) As mentioned, this car is about as good as it gets for a '73. 340, 4 speed, sunroof, fold down rear seat, good color combo, lots of options. I'm thinking at least $5000. Also, if it's already in the country and you don't have to ship it, that's got to be worth something. You probably don't have too many to choose from, those optioned like that aren't exactly sitting on every corner around here, either.
Dallas

If memory serves me well (sometimes it doesn't), I believe the production number for a 340, 4 speed '73 Dart Sport is 1,099.
It's a low production number car with a sunroof to boot.
How much is it worth? In Australia yet!

Yeah car is downunder or at least on it's way, from a dealer in Melbourne. Keep in mind that the cost of importing would be about $4000 AU. He probably bought the car for a song, so he's making a good profit even if you offer him $15k AU, current exchange rate being about 0.9. I don't really need it but if it was optioned a bit different I might be tempted.

http://www.justmustangs.com.au/forsale/

Yeah car is downunder or at least on it's way, from a dealer in Melbourne. Keep in mind that the cost of importing would be about $4000 AU. He probably bought the car for a song, so he's making a good profit even if you offer him $15k AU, current exchange rate being about 0.9. I don't really need it but if it was optioned a bit different I might be tempted.

http://www.justmustangs.com.au/forsale/

I can't say if that amount is too much money for a car like that in Australia.

A few things I'd for sure question;

A) Why is the fender tag black ?
B) Where is the option code for the sunroof (M52 or M53 ?) on the fender tag.
C) Sunroof parts are difficult to come across, seals, cables, guides...
D) Is it missing only the passenger side exhaust manifold?
E) What are the floors like? Looks like the seals are shot on that sunroof.

I think the way that car sits, even for Australia, the price is somewhat steep.
Although it looks like a reasonably solid complete car, it also requires everything to be restored, from the drive gear to interior, to body.
There's alot more money that'll need to be thrown at it.

What would it be worth fully restored in Aussie?

All the best!
Giles

Look for another car at that price.

Looks like it did have the sunroof on the tag... nevermind

Car looks all original....including roof...I doubt anyone 'added' it.
I was told one time the sunroof option may not always be on the tag:dontknow:...possibly due because they were sourced out to American Sunroof?
It should be on the build sheet however...is there one?
Very Cool car but Wow...will need total resto. (alot of work) = $$$$$

Many people kind of look down on the '73s but I happen to like them. (Yes, I own one.)

I own one, too (bought it in 1976), after owning two '70 Duster 340s. I've always loved the '73 Dart Sports -- they're the best looking A-body ever made IMHO. The performance ain't that bad, either.

I have to laugh at the so-called "experts" who will gush all over a '72 Duster or Demon 340 (no offense to the '72 owners), but dismiss a '73 Duster or Dart Sport 340. The horsepower was the same for both years, and outside of the smaller rear-end on the '73s (which isn't a big deal unless you're into serious racing), the performance was pretty comparable. The mechanical changes from '72 to '73 were minimal.

For some reason, today's car hobby has decided that '72 was the end of the line for "muscle cars." That's stupid and elitist. Back when these cars were new, no one worried about what year they were -- it all came down to real performance on the street -- not bench racing by pompous car magazine "experts."

End of rant.

Looks like mine !!

Mine is a 340/column shift TF, bench seat with arm rest, fold-down rear seat, body color sport mirrors, A/C and sunroof car Top Bananna car.

SilverSprings.jpg

P2072499.jpg

P2072518.jpg

I can't say if that amount is too much money for a car like that in Australia.

A few things I'd for sure question;

A) Why is the fender tag black ?
B) Where is the option code for the sunroof (M52 or M53 ?) on the fender tag.
C) Sunroof parts are difficult to come across, seals, cables, guides...
D) Is it missing only the passenger side exhaust manifold?
E) What are the floors like? Looks like the seals are shot on that sunroof.

I think the way that car sits, even for Australia, the price is somewhat steep.
Although it looks like a reasonably solid complete car, it also requires everything to be restored, from the drive gear to interior, to body.
There's alot more money that'll need to be thrown at it.

What would it be worth fully restored in Aussie?

All the best!
Giles

I love the sunroof A-bodies. My '73 Dart Sport 340 has a factory sunroof.
M52 is on the fender tag in the picture I saw. Adding a factory sunroof would be extremely difficult. First, just getting the rolled edge around the roof opening would be tough enough. Then, adding all the structure to the underside of the roof is another chore by itself.
The big problem with the factory sunroof is the cable guide tends to wear around the crank gear and that allows the cable to slip on the gear because the cable is no longer being held tight against the gear. A quick fix is to remove the guide and gently squeeze it in a vise or pair of pliers. The thing is made of pot metal and will break if you squeeze too hard.
Then, remove the covers for the cables and clean the almost 40 year old grease out of the grooves and put a light coating of clean grease on the cables and in the tracks.
It will be almost as good as new.

...I think that days are over where you discriminate the '72 from the 76..Duster/ Demons are getting rare enough all are moving up in price..condition is more important than year..besides, you can make on look like another if you are *that* keen..

I like the 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speeds myself.I feel there a very overlooked car in the States when compared with the 73 340 Dusters.Here,s mine..

OCT 08 006.jpg

I'm doing up a 73 Dart Sport now. Its getting a 72 Duster nose just because of the resale issue. The pointy nose turns some people off....I don't mind it.

-
Back