What's needed for stock steering wheel change?

-

DrillNFill

Reaction score
What materials do I need to convert from a rim-blow wheel to a "partial horn ring" wheel?

Inkedsteering wheels_LI.jpg

The rim blow wheel on my 1970 Dart Swinger is cracked/ and non-working and just all-around gross and nasty. I love the look of the S-79 partial horn ring wheel and would like to convert to that. My understanding is that it's a 1970-only wheel and can fit all A-, B- and C-body cars. **Is this correct?** (I know that earlier years has narrower columns that are a no-go).

I have seen the S-79 wheels for sale on ebay and all for really high prices, and i also see just the center horn pad part. The wheel rim itself is available as a reproduction which is fine with me, but it says in the ads "Use existing hardware to mount". So I guess my next questions are, do the rim-blow wheels use the same mounting hardware as the S-79 wheels? If not, is there a mounting kit for stock wheels I need to buy?

Being the relative noob that I am, I need to know the complete list of stuff I would need for the conversion, so I come hat-in-hand to ask you, the A-body experts!
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Since it fits this thread, how would I go about removing the middle wheel in that picture?

Steering wheel puller.

The Rimblow and Tuff wheels use the A/B adapter which is not used on the S79 wheel. S79 goes right onto the column. You will need 1970-up S79 wheel as 69 is different. I say up because it was also used on 71-4 cop cars.
Pic of the adapter.
upload_2022-5-31_14-16-1.jpeg

The Rimblow and Tuff wheels use the A/B adapter which is not used on the S79 wheel. S79 goes right onto the column. You will need 1970-up S79 wheel as 69 is different. I say up because it was also used on 71-4 cop cars.
Pic of the adapter.
View attachment 1715935669

Thank you, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the Dart already has the hardware needed for mounting the S-79 wheel? Is there any other hardware I would need to get? Also, are the connections for the horn the same?

Here is the best image I have on hand of the steering column. Is that "A/B" adapter internal where I cant see it?

steering column.jpg

Thanks

Thank you, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the Dart already has the hardware needed for mounting the S-79 wheel? Is there any other hardware I would need to get? Also, are the connections for the horn the same?

Here is the best image I have on hand of the steering column. Is that "A/B" adapter internal where I cant see it?

View attachment 1715935717

Thanks
No, I'm saying that the S79 does not use the A/B adapter. The Rimblow does.
When you get an S79 wheel you need to be sure that you get it's mounting hardware that I've shown in my picture.

The adapter is external and makes the column about 4" longer. Rimblow, Tuff and E body wheels are flatter than the 3 spoke wheels.
upload_2022-5-31_17-56-6.jpeg

The adapter is external and makes the column about 4" longer. Rimblow, Tuff and E body wheels are flatter than the 3 spoke wheels.
View attachment 1715935737

I see what you're saying, but mine doesn't seem to have that round adapter between the steering wheel and the column like yours does, if you look at the picture I posted above in post #7. Are we talking about the same style "rim-blow" wheel?

Okay I follow ya. Sorry, no different Rim blow. I forgot about the you that have a was thinking about this one.
upload_2022-5-31_18-29-3.jpeg

Post 10 does not show a rim blow.

Might help to post a pic of yours.

1-Pretty sure the rim blow has phillips screws on the back to remove the center.
2- Then remove the large nut.
3- Next use a puller to remove the wheel*.
*Most parts store pullers may not have long enough bolts in the proper thread size for Mopar wheels.

A- If your wheel does have the "can" like a "tuff wheel" does (post 10) remove the three nuts before you can access the large nut (step 2).

On a tuff wheel, the horn spring retainer comes off with the wheel (step A).
I've not removed a rim blow, so not sure about that, but remove the wire. Should be a spade connector.

Ya S83 shown in the 1st post is that weird one year only rim blow. Not the wood grain style.

Post 10 does not show a rim blow.

Might help to post a pic of yours.

1-Pretty sure the rim blow has phillips screws on the back to remove the center.
2- Then remove the large nut.
3- Next use a puller to remove the wheel*.
*Most parts store pullers may not have long enough bolts in the proper thread size for Mopar wheels.

A- If your wheel does have the "can" like a "tuff wheel" does (post 10) remove the three nuts before you can access the large nut (step 2).

On a tuff wheel, the horn spring retainer comes off with the wheel (step A).
I've not removed a rim blow, so not sure about that, but remove the wire. Should be a spade connector.

Thank you for the info. I have the S-83 rim-blow style wheel pictured in post #1 and want to change over to the S-79 style in the center of that photo. I posted a photo of my steering column in post #7, so it doesn't have the Tuff-wheel style "can" adapter. Does that mean the mounting of these two style wheels to the steering column is the same? Do I need to purchase any other hardware besides the S-79 style wheel to mount it?

Thank you again for any insights . :)

What materials do I need to convert from a rim-blow wheel to a "partial horn ring" wheel?

View attachment 1715935605

The rim blow wheel on my 1970 Dart Swinger is cracked/ and non-working and just all-around gross and nasty. I love the look of the S-79 partial horn ring wheel and would like to convert to that. My understanding is that it's a 1970-only wheel and can fit all A-, B- and C-body cars. **Is this correct?** (I know that earlier years has narrower columns that are a no-go).

I have seen the S-79 wheels for sale on ebay and all for really high prices, and i also see just the center horn pad part. The wheel rim itself is available as a reproduction which is fine with me, but it says in the ads "Use existing hardware to mount". So I guess my next questions are, do the rim-blow wheels use the same mounting hardware as the S-79 wheels? If not, is there a mounting kit for stock wheels I need to buy?

Being the relative noob that I am, I need to know the complete list of stuff I would need for the conversion, so I come hat-in-hand to ask you, the A-body experts!
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Manual or power steering on your car? Manual steering you will hate the full circle horn ring wheel.

Thank you for the info. I have the S-83 rim-blow style wheel pictured in post #1 and want to change over to the S-79 style in the center of that photo. I posted a photo of my steering column in post #7, so it doesn't have the Tuff-wheel style "can" adapter. Does that mean the mounting of these two style wheels to the steering column is the same? Do I need to purchase any other hardware besides the S-79 style wheel to mount it?

Thank you again for any insights . :)
Yes they mount the same. Just be sure you get the mounting hardware and horn switch with the S79 wheel that I showed.

I also think you need the S79 horn switch - it is the tilting of the switch, byt pushing on the horn ring that blows the horn. On a 70 rim blow nothing tilts so I think the horn switch is different. If you get stuck send a pm and I'll take a pic of the correct s-79 horn switch and you can compare with the one on your rim blow.

There is no extension can used with either of these wheels.

Manual or power steering on your car? Manual steering you will hate the full circle horn ring wheel.

Manual. Yeah it's a workout :)

Yes they mount the same. Just be sure you get the mounting hardware and horn switch with the S79 wheel that I showed.

Yes but my question is what is the "mounting hardware" I need, that's what I'm trying to find out. :) Can't find anything online or with the major suppliers that's seems to be a "stock wheel mounting kit".

I also think you need the S79 horn switch - it is the tilting of the switch, byt pushing on the horn ring that blows the horn. On a 70 rim blow nothing tilts so I think the horn switch is different. If you get stuck send a pm and I'll take a pic of the correct s-79 horn switch and you can compare with the one on your rim blow.

There is no extension can used with either of these wheels.

Thanks, I figured I would need a new horn ring, at least I can find those online for sale and they're relatively inexpensive. The old steering wheel horn doesn't work anyway and the previous owner rigged up a doorbell switch on the dash that blows the horn (!!)

The "hardware" is IIRC just a large nut, which you probably already have.

Be aware of the alignment spline.

There is a plate with a bolt that is specific to this horn pad. See my picture. Doubt that anyone makes it so you need to be sure it is included with the setup that you buy. The steering wheel mounts to the column with the nut just like most any other wheel including your S83 wheel. Then the horn switch is screwed to the wheel. Then the plate is screwed to the horn switch. Then the horn pad is bolted to the plate. Then the emblem plate snaps into the horn pan hiding the bolt. Vala.

There is a plate with a bolt that is specific to this horn pad. See my picture. Doubt that anyone makes it so you need to be sure it is included with the setup that you buy. The steering wheel mounts to the column with the nut just like most any other wheel including your S83 wheel. Then the horn switch is screwed to the wheel. Then the plate is screwed to the horn switch. Then the horn pad is bolted to the plate. Then the emblem plate snaps into the horn pan hiding the bolt. Vala.

Ok I think I understand. The "plate" you're talking about is the silver-ish looking round metal plate in your photo in post 6. I will keep an eye out for that before buying any wheel I see for sale. Thanks!

I had a full circle horn ring wheel on my 66 and changed to a woodgrain. Way easier to grip onto when turning at low speeds.
Underhand grip. Hard to get your fingers between the wheel and the horn ring.

-
Back