What's needed to go stroker?

-

ADHD426

Reaction score
I have my freshly rebuilt 340 sitting on an engine stand ready to go. Before I install it I am kicking the tires of stroking it. What would I need? Can I use the pistons that I have? I know I would need a crank, and rods. Is there anything else? Thanks!

Andrew

Crank and Pistons, rods are the same unless you want better ones.

Cheapest to buy a complete rotating assembly. Scat rods usually clear the bottom of the block,no notching usually. Have it rebalanced. You will need a lot bigger cam,and heads that flow at least 240-250 cfm on the intake port.
Expect to spend 3-4 k more more out minimum,to make it worthwhile. I had 7k in my stroker small block.

I think you need longer rods to go with the longer stroke. The Pistons are complety different. And you will have to have a little machine work done . Plus of course a new crank.

I think you need longer rods to go with the longer stroke. The Pistons are complety different. And you will have to have a little machine work done . Plus of course a new crank.

crank and pistons with compression height for the stroker crank.....plus balancing.....and you might need bearings depending on the radius on the crank...

Not true that you need big heads and cam just with stock heads and 268 cam you'll make peak around 4000rpm and be done before 5000rpm it be more like a truck engine, but run a 2.94:1 rear gear and you'll still have an usable powerband.

Not true that you need big heads and cam just with stock heads and 268 cam you'll make peak around 4000rpm and be done before 5000rpm it be more like a truck engine, but run a 2.94:1 rear gear and you'll still have an usable powerband.
Well yeah........kind of , sort of.
Then you get into the " why would you ? " question.
More inches want more air to make more power.
If you would be satisfied with the same power at lower r.p.m. , then this is an option.
But strokers like duration , and air in and out = h.p.
On the other question , a longer rod requires a custom piston in most cases......" shelf " pistons are available for 3.58 , 3.79 and 4.00 " strokes with either a 6' or 6.123" rod if you shop around. Basically , if someone is offering a kit for a given stroke , they use a fairly common piston.
Going with a longer rod isn't worth the effort or cost in most cases.....especially with longer strokes.
You get into a tight ring package , oil ring supports , piston rock and a host of other issues that significantly reduce engine longevity.

why not just get this from summit and have it bored 30 over to take pistons??
Says already balanced
Scat Engine Rotating Assemblies 1-48015BI

The O.P.has a sweet combination. Try it first. A well done 340,will shock ya. Give that Crower a chance..nn

I love the little 340s in my a bodies. Quick revving tire fryers. But I cant talk, I have a stroker (340-416) Im assembling rite now. Talk to Mike at MRL. He is hooking me up with my parts and his technical advise. Prices are rite there as well. Great guy that knows his $4it.

Fresh rebuild 340? Put the money that would've paid for new crankshaft+pistons+balancing into making that 340 breathe. You won't regret it!

And you can always stroke it at some point if it gets tired/worn.

-
Back