What's the best and most reasonably priced GoPro camera?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I want to buy a GoPro. Holy crap there are a lot of choices. It looks like the Hero3 is the new one. Then there is white, silver and black edition. What is a good one to buy? I will use it on my car almost exclusively.

The Hero 3+ is the latest and greatest. The black is the best of course but for what you're doing, the silver is probably fine to go with. I have the black and the battery isn't all that great, especially if you use the wifi. I think the white and silver both have 30% better battery life than the black edition. Btw, the smart phone functionality is great! Watch over at slickdeals.net and look out for gopro deals. They come up here and there. Be sure it's a 3+

I HAD a go pro hero3 the silver one. it was awesome. here is the first video i ever took with it.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ovfE81ZxH2k[/ame]

I have the black edition and i love it, so far i have bought
suction cup mount kit
Battery back pack
Skeleton box
Audio Technica Pro cm24 mic

im an Audiophile, sound is the utmost issue with car vids due to the decible levels. The gopro mic is pretty bad IMO, for most stuff its ok, but not for our loud cars lol, hence my mic.

My blacks battery on a full charge would last about 50mins on 1080P/30FPS (wifi off) and with the back pack 1hr 50 mins 960P/30FPS (wifi on and live streaming). My thought is if your going to buy one of these get the best one and it will last you forever...

My Slant Dart
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ92UCIjtfc"]First Dart Vid With New GoPro Black!! - YouTube[/ame]

Hemi Dart
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM2GFqz3LEY"]SS And AFX Takes The Purple Dart Out - YouTube[/ame]

The 3+ models got an upgrade on the mic. Supposed to be a lot better than the previous units. Not sure it's as good as an external mic though.

The 3+ models got an upgrade on the mic. Supposed to be a lot better than the previous units. Not sure it's as good as an external mic though.

i thats good to hear, but there is no way it would be better than an external.

Black, white, silver. One of you wanna clue the rest of us poor slobs in on what it is you're talking about?

Black, white, silver. One of you wanna clue the rest of us poor slobs in on what it is you're talking about?

The latest and greatest GoPro line is the Hero 3+. In the 3+ line, there is the white ($200), silver ($300), and black ($400), in order of least optioned to most optioned. All are the same size, black has teh worst battery (30% worse than silver or white). The black has some options like super view which provides a super wide FOV of about 170 degrees. It also has a high quality video setting for cinema type stuff if you're into that. It's also supposed to be the best in low light situations. If that type of thing doesn't tickle your fancy, then the silver would be a good camera. I don't know the all the differences between all the models. I would just look up a review or compare specs on GoPro's website and see which model suits your use of the camera.

is it for in the car or for on a helmet ?

I have a drift HD camera for my dirtbike
it is a lot cheaper then the gopro but gets the job done AND you don't look like your riding around with a toaster on your head

of course, on any helmet cam on any dirtbike audio will suck

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3RqBBOa47Y"]cedar creek ORV part 3 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

is it for in the car or for on a helmet ?

I have a drift HD. Camera for my dirtbike
it is a lot cheaper then the gopro but gets the job done AND you don't look like your riding around with a toaster on your head

of course, on any helmet cam on any dirtbike audio will suck

cedar creek ORV part 3 of 3 - YouTube

You can mount it to a car or helmet. There are mounts for about anything you can think of. Helmets, surf boards, inside or outside of cars, any sort of pole or bar mount, wrist mount, chest mount, etc. It's very versatile but yeah I don't particularly care for its shape.

This is my Hero 3 Black on 1080P-30FPS with a Audio Technica Pro24cm external mic. Its obviously quieter than real life but you just cant beat the clarity of the pair...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEneOEh-au8&list=UU2UfycLWJQRo0DnRrnW3KxQ&feature=share"]Quit Your Bitchin MATS 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

You can mount it to a car or helmet. There are mounts for about anything you can think of. Helmets, surf boards, inside or outside of cars, any sort of pole or bar mount, wrist mount, chest mount, etc. It's very versatile but yeah I don't particularly care for its shape.

I know, but have you ever seen someone with a gopro mounted to a helmet?

they look ridiculous, like they are running around with a toaster on their head :banghead:

This is my Hero 3 Black on 1080P-30FPS with a Audio Technica Pro24cm external mic. Its obviously quieter than real life but you just cant beat the clarity of the pair...

Looks and sounds nice.
But why were you walking around with a toaster in your hands? :D

I would let Youtube do some image-stabilisation next time you walk around with the cam. It's a bit shaky at times now.

I picked up a first gen gopro for $50 used of course it dosent have all the fancy crap like the 3 but still shoots great video

I know, but have you ever seen someone with a gopro mounted to a helmet?

they look ridiculous, like they are running around with a toaster on their head :banghead:

Yes I know. I'm one of those guys. I use it for snow skiing planted on the front of my helmet and also mount in on my ski pole for 3rd person view. Pole mount provided the best videos. Can't beat the clarity or frame rate though. Just a note, the new ones are 20% smaller than previous units so they are quite as bad. It's only a couple inches wide.

-
Back