whats the best engine for both performance and mileage??

-
Its been said time and time again. Comparing the ls series engine to an la engine is not a fair comparison. You need to compare a late model hemi to the ls series. A magnum to the vortec and an la to a regular 350.
I believe it was albert einstein that said everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life thinking its stupid.
basically everything works but if you judge old technology compared to new its gonna look like crap.
Stop comparing you plasma screen(LS series) to a tv from the 60's (LA series)

I found an almost rust free 70 dart and am trying to do a cost effective mild restoration. Planning an overdrive automatic and would like good power. I was thinking about stroking a 360 but would I be better off with a 318. I can get the 318 engine and trans out of a 91 pickup for nothing.
Any suggestions and what kind of MPG can I get with various senerios. PS I was planning a 3.55 Posi.
Thanks
Greg Wise
its hard to have your cake and eat it to

back to the original question......mileage with power is a turbo'd engine, maybe a 4.7/545 combo with a turbo on it? If you run a "dinosaur" la engine, a 273 with a turbo would get you mileage with 300 hp. One thing that helps is to reduce internal friction as much as possible, narrow rings with low tension oil rings. Just some thoughts.....

FWIW my Duster with the engine in my sig gets 18 MPG on the highway with a TCI (not the best, lots of slippage) 2500-stall converter and 2.76 gears, and that's in an area with lots of hills and my lead foot lol. With a 5-speed manual and 3.23 gears I'm sure it could easily get over 22 MPG. Building a 318 instead of 360 and roller cam instead of small hyd. F.T. would improve it even more along with carefully ported aftermarket heads and a TQ or new street avenger carb.

Sorry.As for the 4.7,I have 1 or 2 calls a month,for reman engines.The thing that scares me,no rebuildable cores.As a parts person,that is bad news to me.Hot Rod dyno tested a stock Magnum 300/360.Made 315 h.p.,400ft-lbs of torque.Torque,makes it fun and punchy down low,dies off around 4800-5000.Torque in that area,makes it efficent for m.p.g.It was carb,dual plane intake.Too big a header.Hopefully,this helps.

I'll post my setup here even though it's a 273, since most of the parts are interchangeable with your 318.

Eddy 1406
Eddy Performer intake (Dual Plane) with the square bore to spread bore adapter spacer
Stock pistons and bore size
Stock Heads Ported to flow [email protected] int [email protected] exhaust decked .040
Solid Lifter Cam .473/.473 262 duration.
MP Electronic Ignition
Stock Exh Manifolds- 2.5" exhaust to Flowmaster (Drone Master) 40's
7 1/4 rear with (I believe to be) 3.20ish gears
A904 trans

This is my daily driver but I am not sure exactly what the mpg is. I drive it granny style to drop my kid at school and then John Force style on the way home. It's a lot of fun.

The car seat keeps the women away:
a25f6d51.jpg

Superior engine?! :puke:lol is he kicked off FABO yet? No :spam1: allowed here! haha. As far as the question goes, My good friend has a 73 duster with a mild 318 that get anywhere from 17 to 20 on the freeway depending on how he drives. Stock bottom end (20k miles) with headers, dual flows, rpm manifold, 1406 carb, K&N filter, and an msd ignition. throttle response is pretty good and it doesnt kill him on the freeway either. (there are many better paths for hp and mpg but this is just something to compare to) oh and hes got a 3.23 gear ratio

my next question is why do you continue to come here? not bad enough you praise chebby engines in your LS thread but you have the nerve to come to this one and talk abou LS engines but thats not bad enough you have to talk crap about the cars/engines we like too?

get lost!:violent1:

x2

im done with this troll. SPAM!

:finga: The denial in these forums is almost sad. Yes the LS is superior in every single way

Your "SAD" for thinking what you stated I think. If your going to be have like a buffoonish child, then do so under your own blanket naked at night and not on the forum.:violent1:

I voiced my opinion the OP in my first post. If he is hellbent on a keeping is car with a crappy mopar engine, he needs a mild engine with nitrous.

There is nothing wrong with the engine. While the old design is just that, I say your comment is something I also throw back in your face. You THINK that the LS is a superior design but I disagree when you look at the big picture of the worlds engines and tech that is being brought out today.

Your LS is nothing more than a dressed up Neanderthal trying to get into a dance hall. The lip stick fools no one except the close minded and convinced. Since you fit the bill for both, you'll never learn anything and stay in your zone of comfort thinking you have the best.

While you constantly come back and make a *** of yourself certainly makes me wonder why you find joy insulting a whole forum by showing your *** off. :wack:

Thanks for showing everyone your shoe size. Your the best! :finga:

Your "SAD" for thinking what you stated I think. If your going to be have like a buffoonish child, then do so under your own blanket naked at night and not on the forum.:violent1:

There is nothing wrong with the engine. While the old design is just that, I say your comment is something I also throw back in your face. You THINK that the LS is a superior design but I disagree when you look at the big picture of the worlds engines and tech that is being brought out today.

Your LS is nothing more than a dressed up Neanderthal trying to get into a dance hall. The lip stick fools no one except the close minded and convinced. Since you fit the bill for both, you'll never learn anything and stay in your zone of comfort thinking you have the best.

While you constantly come back and make a *** of yourself certainly makes me wonder why you find joy insulting a whole forum by showing your *** off. :wack:

Thanks for showing everyone your shoe size. Your the best! :finga:

why hasen't he been banned yet?

Its actually pretty obvious that the LS motor is superior to every engine that ever had a mopar badge.

We enjoy these cars and engines for what they are. Most of us grew up with them and it is a hobby for us to make them the best they can be. With your logic i guess all the early ford guys should replace their flatheads with LS engines. What about the corvette purists, are you gonna tell them their Sm/Big blocks are junk and they should get rid of them. I guess Civil War reinactors should use AK-47's. I don't doubt your a ok guy, just not sure why you want to stir up trouble in a forum for cars that are what they are.

I believe magnumdust has already made his final post in this thread.

Let's not stir up a hornets nest with more bashing and get back on topic helping the OP :thumbup:

-
Back