whats the best thermostat for /6

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Took the Valiant out on a road trip the other day and the temp guage ran a little warmer than I thought it should on the expressway. It ran a little past the center on the guage. I don't remember changing the thermostat when I had the engine out. So I looked at them on the parts website and it had a 160* and a 180* thermostat. It is a /6, 225. It has a new radiator and all so I am going to change it before the road trip down south. I was thinking that since the car isn't ran in the colder weather about going with the 160* and it should run a little cooler. What do you guys think. Bill

Thermostats do not make your engine cooler if you have an overheating problem it usually not the thermostat.

Thermostats keep your engine from running too cold, not too hot.

You probably need to flush your cooling system. I would also make sure that your pump is moving water like it should.

Also:
Check your plugs to make sure your fuel/air mixture is correct.
Check your radiator hoses aren't collapsing at high speeds.

cooling system is fine, water pump is moving ok it seems, hoses are new, plugs are new. If the thermostat is hanging closed or not opening all the way, water isn't going to circulate and could cause engine to heat. common sense.

I was running a 160* last summer but when it started getting cold, and I needed more heat, I went up to a 180* thermostat. Mine runs around 190* on a 45 minute mostly highway commute home in 90*+ heat. Drops down to 180*-185* through shady areas or idling and as high as 195* at 70mph in hot sun. Be sure you're running a good quality coolant in at least a 50/50 mix.

Well, it will open and may cooler when at idle and low speeds, but that may not be good for the engine to reach a good operating temp. Too cool can cause sludging etc. As noted, it won't lower the temp of a too hot system. I would stick with the 180 and check the system for accuracy. BTW, interestingly, 160 t'stats were used back in the olden days for the old alcohol based anti-freezes.

Your temp gauge may or may not be accurate, but a little past center is just fine in this early summer weather. You can get a good check on the gauge by putting meat thermometer in the top of the rad with the engine warmed up and the t'stat opened. Or borrow an IR temp gun and look at the top tank of the rad and t-stat housing.

I have also calibrated the resistance of the temp sensor in a pot of hot water at varying temps, and them checked sensor resistance in-engine with an ohmmeter when the engine was hot to get really accurate measurements.

ok, thanks guys. I think I will just stay with a 180* then. It just may be the guage. everything else is pretty much new. It was hot that day too.

-
Back