What's the best way to remove center link?

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my oil pan gasket and wondering if there is a best way to remove the center link. Is it possible to do it without damaging the tie rod ends? Does it slide off the pittman and idler arms or is it tight there also? I have a pickle fork and have done ball joints but not the center link. The car is a 66 barracuda.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

You can pull the pitman and remove the idler pivot bolt at the k-frame to lower it all down together.

Othewise you need to use a clamp type remover to seperate the tie rod/pitman/idler points to avoid damaging them.

You prob'ly don't need to remove it at all. try knocking the idler arm loose at the frame, and by turning the steering wheel, you should be able to pull it down enough out of way

start with the tie rod ends, take the nuts off, then use a heavy hammer, I use a three pound hammer, give the center link a good solid smack directly on the side of the tapered hole that the tie rod is in, hit it like a man not a ten year old, the tie rod end will pop right out, might take two or three hits but it will come out, I do this with ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and pitman.

Thanks for the info.

I was working on it earlier and the wife reminded me it was Christmas! I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

start with the tie rod ends, take the nuts off, then use a heavy hammer, I use a three pound hammer, give the center link a good solid smack directly on the side of the tapered hole that the tie rod is in, hit it like a man not a ten year old, the tie rod end will pop right out, might take two or three hits but it will come out, I do this with ball joints, tie rod ends, idler and pitman.

^^^^^^ Xs2 . . except I leave the loosened nuts on.. to protect the threads in case of an errant blow.. this method saves damaging rubbers or joints..

Got it!! Thanks for all your help!

I used the BFH method to get the tie rods and one side of the center link disconnected. Then moved the center link out of the way to get the pan down. The first couple of times I hit like a 10 year old. Then I hit it like a man :violent1: and pop (thanks torkflight)!

-
Back