What's the difference between 4-speed and auto console?

-

gallantusmc

69 Formula S
Reaction score
I have a '69 Formula S. Car originally came with a console, but I do not have one in the car now. I have a pistol grip shifter with no console. I did get a console with the car, but am not sure if it's for a 4-speed or auto. Would likes some help (to include pictures if possible) to identify it. Does anyone repro any parts for these consoles. The one I have has a good base, but needs some help on the top pieces.

Somebody just started roproducing parts. I don't have the contact info, but Jim Rhinehart (rhinodart) on several Mopar sites has it. I might be able to get you a pic of the special side hump in my son's Dart. His console is a 66-68 top, but the hole is in the same place.

A pic of your console would be helpful to detumin what it goes to. Go to ebay and check out item 4623034051, it's an automatic console (with dlx. wood grain) The 4spd console looks the same but where the sifter is on the Auto the manual is an open "box" for the shifter movment. I'm not sure but i belive both are compleatly interchanable with the exception of the top plate...I'd have to check in my shop manual to be certain. If you want me too I'll hunt it down and find out for you.
Adam

The original 4spd console should also have a cut out, that extends up into the body of the console on the drivers side, for the side cover to fit into.The tops should not have the groove down the center as the earlier consoles did. If the console you have has a opening about 4x6 then you have a 4spd console. You`ll need a unique shifter to snake through to the opening as well. The original shifter may be even harder to find, so you may have to make one. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys. Not even sure if I am going to try and put the console in it yet. Kinda like the looks of the pistol grip shifter without the console. The console I have is missing the front top piece. I should have stated that. Was looking more for info on the base. If I do put the console in I will probably make a shifter so I can still run the pistol grip.

-
Back