What's the difference?

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
What is the difference between 318/340/360 heads? I have a new intake and after reading the literature it states it will work for 318s if using the 340/360 heads...

Basically, 340 & 360 heads have bigger valves & ports than 318 heads. The manifold would probably bolt up to the 318 with no problems but there would be port mismatch at the heads that would hurt flow.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am not too worried about HP numbers since my 383 build is under way. I have been trying to get a hold of Brad Harms (noticed you were from SD.. maybe you know the guy) for some different heads if it is that big of a deal.

Don't know Brad but I know of him & have talked to him on the phone. Good to see another South Dakota person on here. I might be in Sioux Falls tomorrow doing some shopping before the snow hits. I'm about 110 miles from there.

If you just want to get the thing running you can bolt the manifold on & go. Use 340/360 gaskets. If you decide to change heads, all of the valve train stuff should swap over with no problems.

Oh... other than valve and pushrod differences. I am talking where the intake and head meet. Thank you

No pushrod difference. The port windows will be off a bit, but if theres no real worry on performance due to the 383 coming up, there a bolt on and go issue.

-
Back