whats the diffrence

-

grease monkey 73

Reaction score
Well my land lord has a 79 newport 225 super6 thats been wrecked and sitting for years and the slant in my 73 dart decided to catch fire awhile back so i was wondering if i would be better off pulling and building my motor or pulling the motor out of the newport and building it i know the intakes and exhaust are different is that all or what?

I think the 79 has a cast crank while the 73 has a forged crank, I also think exhaust manifolds are the same. Send a PM to slant six dan, he can tell you EXACTLY what's different...probably right down to the part #

why not put the 79 in your car-- get it running & rebuild your original motor at your leisure?

Win- win-- take all the 2 bbl linkages for your swap, Lawrence

I think the 79 has a cast crank while the 73 has a forged crank, I also think exhaust manifolds are the same. Send a PM to slant six dan, he can tell you EXACTLY what's different...probably right down to the part #

I believe ssd is on a sabatical from the internet haven't seen him around in months.

I would likely just swap the fire damaged parts out with non damaged parts. How much fire are we talking here? Was it enough to warp the hood? A slant is almost entirely cast iron and it takes quite a bit of heat to hurt it.

I believe the heads are different (peanut vs drool), but do interchange. The intake and exhaust manifolds do interchange. The 79 head might have the air injection port (easy to block off). Yes a 73 should be forged and 79 should be cast.

I would swap the engines in a heartbeat.
The 2 barrel super 6 is a much better choice.
Cast crank versus forged doesn't come into play here unless you are going to buzz it over 6,500 rpm.
Just make sure you get all of the throttle and trans linkages etc.with it.

At some point in time i would like to turbo the the thing so i will probably swap in the newport motor and build mine if it has forged crank i just didnt know if the newer motor would have better head/valves or any other better parts but as far as the fire goes it wasnt bad it got the dist, plugs, wires, wiring harness, and was one hell of a show sitting at the red light while i was headed home from work one night thanks for the good info guys

No both cylinder heads should have the same valve size and port design. 73 is a good year for the slant, it is the later 5 freeze plug block and they still had forged cranks. It would make a good starting point for a turbo.

-
Back