what's the favorite replacment starter for these sixes?

-
The oldest I have seen the mini starters on factory issue,, was my 89 diplomat. And I had to destroy it to remove it when I did the transmission in that car, it was so badly corroded it grew itself to the trans, took several blows from a sledgehammer to get it to release itself from the bellhousing. Yes the bolts were out haha. Just goes to show how long it has been in this car.

The oldest I have seen the mini starters on factory issue,, was my 89 diplomat. And I had to destroy it to remove it when I did the transmission in that car, it was so badly corroded it grew itself to the trans, took several blows from a sledgehammer to get it to release itself from the bellhousing. Yes the bolts were out haha. Just goes to show how long it has been in this car.

The stud to the lower bolt is still stuck in my old starter. Will probably break both taking it out.

Please also note that the 62 and earlier slants used a direct drive starter, and the mini starters won't work to replace them without also replacing the flywheel ring gear.

When I got my car the starter was dead. Luckily there are quite a few big Mopar events near me in Ohio. I came across a few starters laying on the ground at a swap meet. I talked to the guy and he didn't know what vehicles they were out of. I picked one out and holding it on the ground with my foot, applied 12 volts, the gear jumped out and it spun. Sold! It fits my 1964 225 and the wires fit perfectly. The only difference is the 2 nuts are metric. The mounting bolt and stud are the stock ones.

It's been on the road for 5 yrs. Then about 2 yrs ago it became intermittent. I did some research, bought 2 new copper contacts, replaced them and everything is good again.

I'm a traditional Mopar guy and thought I'd miss the original Hamtramck Hummingbird sound but no, it doesn't bother me. Anytime I can make my car more reliable, more safe, or lose weight, I'm gonna do it.

20210829_181840.jpg

Yeah, I found two metric bolts holding on my exhaust the other day and was pissed, but got over it LOL.

The mini's are half the weight and size, so might carry a spare in the trunk. At least carry the $10 rebuild kit for the contacts which are the main part which fails to strand you. Before turning your old starter in as a core, might check the PN since restorers of high-end E-bodies will pay $$$ to get the "correct" PN.

The mini's are half the weight and size, so might carry a spare in the trunk. At least carry the $10 rebuild kit for the contacts which are the main part which fails to strand you. Before turning your old starter in as a core, might check the PN since restorers of high-end E-bodies will pay $$$ to get the "correct" PN.
Thanks for that- I will definitely keep it. I just put it back in and it still works, I managed to pound the stud out of it, and rehabed the stud and just put it all back together and in- but if the big dollar 100point restorers want it, I will definately consider that!

-
Back