Whats the HIGHEST Gear Ratio used in a B-Body?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys.........I've been checking a car today to discover the gear ratio, and did it exactly like I've done it for 40 years........One spin of the tire to ? turns of the driveshaft..........

My question is as stated........ What's the highest ratio you've ever known in a B-Body from the factory? I always thought it was the 2.76........

Either my brain is fried, or this car has a ratio a LOT higher than that........or is there something this senior mind is forgettin'? It's an open rear........what am I missing?

2.45 was available in the 8.25 rears but had a different differential case than 2.76 and up.

If you have an "open" (non Sure Grip) rear, you jack up ONE tire and turn it TWO turns

If you have a Sure Grip you jack up both tires and turn one of them ONE turn

Could that be it?

You haven't said what the "twilight zone" "is" What kind of turns are you coming up with?

That's IT Dart............

Give the man another cigar!

I totally forgot the open vs.SG formula......... Almost all of my old cars were sure grips.......raced them all.......Might have had a satellite Convertible with an open rear.........whatever.

The "Twilight Zone" was that the ratio was coming out at 1.5 to 1.75........I suspected that the open rear was supposed to be checked or formulated differently.......

At any rate, you got it. Thanks.

-
Back