whats the highest rpm you can go with cast pistons

-

gmhater

Reaction score
I have a stock 360 with a mild cam just wondering whats the highest rpm you guys have gone with stock pistons? Ive done 5800 in short bursts in a drag race, not sustained. Is it possible to do over 6000 without hurting the motor in a drag style situation? Just wondering what you guys think, i have a cam i could put in that would make power up to 6500 but dont know if would be worth it.

10,000 RPM...jk.lol

I wouldnt want to use a non hyperutectic cast piston much over 65-6800 rpm, they are heavy and not as strong as they need to be for rpm/high hp

i say go for it though, u should be ok.

I spent a summer taking mine to 7000+ in a 318, bumped a 7400 chip a couple of times. It was mostly an experiment to see what I could get away with, it's still in one piece and I look forward to running it again.

With a stock 360....you'll float the valves way before having to worry about the pistons. Just my $0.02.

With a stock 360....you'll float the valves way before having to worry about the pistons. Just my $0.02.

+1

I've pushed mine to 5500-6000 although there was really not enough cam. But I did it to see if it would last.. It lived..then some crap somehow got into the engine and destroyed a rod bearing....:dontknow:

+1

I've pushed mine to 5500-6000 although there was really not enough cam. But I did it to see if it would last.. It lived..then some crap somehow got into the engine and destroyed a rod bearing....:dontknow:

Probably a hard piece of old seal got by the pick up screen, common as well as bearing corrosion from moiture-un frequent oil changes for 10-30yr old engines, contaminated oil, oxidization etc, the bearings just go away..they look spotty and are pitted sometimes.

If he is camming it for 6500, it will go 6500

Probably a hard piece of old seal got by the pick up screen, common as well as bearing corrosion from moiture-un frequent oil changes for 10-30yr old engines, contaminated oil, oxidization etc, the bearings just go away..they look spotty and are pitted sometimes.

If he is camming it for 6500, it will go 6500

yep.. the bearing going had nothing to do with it turning 5800 + RPM. I had done it plenty of times before.. Just happened to let go at the arm drop drags last year right after a run.

Chit happens.

The rods will give up before you have any piston issues. The stock wimpy 3/8 bolts will allow the rod to distort and spin a rod bearing

-
Back