What's The Stickiest Street Tire?

-

Thrashard340

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. So I found out the hard way that my Dunlop Qualifier GT's aren't the best hooking street tire (they suck). Launching at 3000 RPMs produces tire spin halfway through 1st and 2nd gear. :burnout: Good for show, but bad for launching. I'm curious as to what you guys think what is the best hooking street tire out there? I searched through the archives and didn't find the answer I was looking for. Thanks in advance.

I've seen great results with M/T sportsman pro's.

M/T ET streets are basically street legal drag slicks, but the sportsman pro's will hook up nicely and actually have tire tread on them.

I run the sportsman pro's also. Looking at running the et street radial this though. Hearing nothing, but good things about them. My problems is I run the 29x15.50 15's and the biggest in radials is 28 tall and still be 13.5 wide. I need to replace mine now so I have to decide soon.

I'm running the MT Sportsman Pro's they work well. The wrinkle wall construction really helps with a lower pressure, and the tread compound gets quite sticky if you burn em before you launch em. Note you do need to install tubes in them.
Just my opinion!

I have personally seen a 69' 440-4speed pinion snubbed Super Bee with 295/50/15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers hook it up pretty good....good enough to slip the tire 8" around the rim from its original location at 32 psi. To the best of my knowledge...that cannot happen when they are burning/slipping.

superbee1.jpg

superbee.jpg

superbeeinter1.jpg

superbeeengine1.jpg

Btw...same Super Bee went 1.8 60' ft, 12.37 @ 117 on those GT Qualifiers

I have personally seen a 69' 440-4speed pinion snubbed Super Bee with 295/50/15 Dunlop GT Qualifiers hook it up pretty good....good enough to slip the tire 8" around the rim from its original location at 32 psi. To the best of my knowledge...that cannot happen when they are burning/slipping.

superbee1.jpg

superbee.jpg

superbeeinter1.jpg

superbeeengine1.jpg

Btw...same Super Bee went 1.8 60' ft, 12.37 @ 117 on those GT Qualifiers

I'm impressed. I didn't have the same luck yesterday. But I didn't warm the tires up either. Could that be the difference? I was always under the impression that the street radial just wasn't the best hooking tire.

BTW...that is a very nice looking Bee.

The Dunlops seem to be working pretty good on my Duster. What do you have running in the way of rear suspension mods?

I run the sportsman pro's also. Looking at running the et street radial this though. Hearing nothing, but good things about them. My problems is I run the 29x15.50 15's and the biggest in radials is 28 tall and still be 13.5 wide. I need to replace mine now so I have to decide soon.

They make the 315/60/15 mt et which is 30x13.50x15,I ran the next size down and they were definitely 30x12.50 and hooked like hell.

I asked this question on several boards a couple of months ago because I was in the market for new tires. Everyone was saying that the The MT street Et's were defineatly the way to go.

The Dunlops seem to be working pretty good on my Duster. What do you have running in the way of rear suspension mods?

Ace, the only suspension mods are super stock springs. What is your suspension setup?

Other than that, it looks like everyone seems to favor MT.

I've got a set of homemade Caltracs that seem to do the trick for me. Wheelspin is not a problem with my power (300hp?), suspension, and tires. I'm more worried about breaking a u-joint on hard launch than anything else.

But that's just this particulare car/combo. I think the Dunlops are a good "cheap" tire suitable for me, in this case. The MT's are a whole different class of tire, probably more suitable to a higher powered machine. But you can get a big improvement from the Caltracs. I could get some pretty good wheelspin going before I installed them. Now it is very controllable.

I've got a set of homemade Caltracs that seem to do the trick for me. Wheelspin is not a problem with my power (300hp?), suspension, and tires. I'm more worried about breaking a u-joint on hard launch than anything else.

But that's just this particulare car/combo. I think the Dunlops are a good "cheap" tire suitable for me, in this case. The MT's are a whole different class of tire, probably more suitable to a higher powered machine. But you can get a big improvement from the Caltracs. I could get some pretty good wheelspin going before I installed them. Now it is very controllable.

Thanks Ace. I'll look into some suspension mods. My combo is putting out around 400 FHP.

-
Back