What's this hole for?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
I figured it was a drain of some sort but not sure. Its only on the passenger side, none on the drivers wiper. I was at a car show on the weekend and none of the A body cars had this hole, but there were none that were 74's either. Its a 74 Scamp.

Attachments

• photoxx.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 370
Rust Hole ?? It definitely does not belong there !!
Could be a hole made with a tool someone was using to pry off the wiper arm ?

too square for a rust hole

I would imagine there should have been a plastic cover for the wiper arm pivot or something there

Got me... Never saw a hole like that before. Might be a drain hole for rain water.

Check to see if the hole opens to the cowl vent or to the inside of the car. Could be that it opens to the cowl vent to prevent water from laying in that indentation below the wiper shaft

Could be for a trim piece. This one is on a '67 Fury.

Attachments

• wiper trim piece.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 290
that's a new one for me too. Wrong tool used for wiper arm removal is a good guess but broken paint and rust should have resulted. Subscribed to learn.

If someone had replaced the wiper arm with one that had a larger base, it may have worn through with use over time.

Im gonna have to say either someone nicked it with a grinder or like Alaskan_TA said the wrong wiper arm was put on and it wore through. Glad I asked cause I thought it was a drain of some sort, now that I know it shouldn't be there I can weld it up, thanks alot fellas.

Here's a closer pic that shows grinder/wear marks on it.

Attachments

• photommmmm.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 272
That hole has no resemblance to a pitot tube at all.

Attachments

• pitot.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 192
Maybe it was mopars feeble attempt at one. Just need an orifice to get the air to measure airspeed. not as fancy as the one you keep at your desk

My buddy has all kinds of strange crap on his bike, he is a aircraft pilot.
Air speed, altitude, etc...

-
Back