What's this wire for?

-

vntned

Reaction score
So the car in question is a '70 duster. I bought a engine conversion harness to run the later Mopar ecu. All seems fine except for one extra wire. It's the blue wire to the excitor on the alternator. The wire Ts off and goes back towards the coil. Is this for an electric choke?!

PXL_20210526_233344529.jpg

PXL_20210526_233357066.jpg

PXL_20210526_233401761.jpg

Have you put a meter on it to see if it is power or ground? That would essentially answer your question.

It's clearly power, as it's the same as the blue excitor wire. Just not sure what it's termination point is intended to be.

I'm sure it's for choke, or "some other" smog device. A few cars had idle solenoids, I don't know if any a bodies came with solenoid retard distributors (AKA 350-375hp 440 a few years 70/ later etc)

MyMopar.com download your FSM and trace out the wires.

I've got a 1970 factory service manual. Doesn't help much since the harness isn't the original one.

So the car in question is a '70 duster. I bought a engine conversion harness to run the later Mopar ecu. All seems fine except for one extra wire. It's the blue wire to the excitor on the alternator. The wire Ts off and goes back towards the coil. Is this for an electric choke?!

View attachment 1715743245

View attachment 1715743246

View attachment 1715743249

Normally the blue wire on a factory harness goes to the voltage regulator.
Since it is T’d off and runs back I would suspect it’s an added on accessory feed, like for electric choke. (As already mentioned)
If the other blue wire goes to the regulator, then you should be good.
You could probably even remove the extra one if you don’t need it for anything.

I recall blue wire connecting to choke in later models.

I'm sure it's for choke, or "some other" smog device. A few cars had idle solenoids, I don't know if any a bodies came with solenoid retard distributors (AKA 350-375hp 440 a few years 70/ later etc)

I agree with you. This 2nd blue heads back from the alternator and snaps on the male spade on the idle control solenoid of factory Carter AVS carb.

-
Back