What's this?

-

LIME TWIST DART

Reaction score
What is the material on the end of some exterior trim screws?
Like the screws that attach front and rear glass clips?
I would like to buy the material to apply on other fasteners, if available.
Thanks,

Attachments

• Picture 2 14-44-38.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 211
For wheel trim screws, that would be beeswax.

For the windshield trim clip screws, it appears to be a "plasti-dip" type of substance. When the screw is installed, it smashes down and gives a water-tight seal so rust doesn't start in the hole.

I believe its just a sealant.In a previous life I worked in a GM dealer body shop and they had the same thing...
I think a squeeze of pipe joint compound (or silicone) on any sheet metal screws where you're concerned about leakage would do the same thing.

When I bought my front and rear glass seals, the screws that came with the clips weren't dipped on the ends. So, rather than purchase new screws, I would prefer to add the stuff myself and have more to use on other fasteners. I live within a mile of the ocean and would like to take additional steps to slow the inevitable rust, etc..

Those screws are for wheel well trim. The ends have wax on them because they are exposed to the elements on the back side. Your clip screws won't be exposed to the elements on the back side. In your case I'd use strip caulk under the heads of the screws. I don't think that beeswax will give you any extra protection in this case. The strip caulk will keep moister out of the threads.

Hot melt glue , gotta get a hot glue gun that stuff is great.

Walmart has them in the crafts section

Get a butyl ribbon seal kit works great for sealing all kinds of things not just windshields and lasts longer than the strip caulk from my experience. Here you go [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-Butyl-ribbon-seal-kit-installation-3-8-/251355498474?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a85f487ea&vxp=mtr"]Windshield Butyl Ribbon Seal Kit Installation 3 8 | eBay[/ame]

-
Back