What's too big for a home television

-
On the drive in note.

I took my lady to the drive in a few months ago. She had never been.... (shes much younger than me..) we took the dog, layed down in the back of my Subaru with some comfy fold out pads, ate popcorn and had a great time. ( and no you perverts, we did watch the movie..)
They closed the last drive last year around here. We used to love going, took the lifted barn door suburban and would back up onto the mound open the barn doors to the first limit strap, set up folding chairs and a some blankets on a foam camper pad. Kids would be sleeping before the second movie started. I miss the drive in theater.

Its finally time to replace our flatscreen TV. Its a 50" which is small, but when our 55" died my sister was upgrading her t.v and gave us this one to get by with and save some money. Several years later it's been a good t.v, but is done. Bands of pixels burned out many bands, lol. Wife said pick a t.v that's reasonable in size. She thinks 65", I say 75". Lol, we have the space, so that's not an issue. What is too big for sensible use?

Project the images on the outside wall of your house... That's big enough... :rolleyes:

I thought about setting up the large spare room downstairs as a home theater room. But then it starts to get expensive fast by the time you get the projector, screen, theater seating, popcorn machine, etc. If I'm going for it, I'm going all in.

Samsung just came out with a 219" TV called The Wall. Cost is over $100K. I am guessing it will be for Board of Director meeting rooms etc.

...Its a 50" which is small,

LMFAO!!!!!

tumblr_lxcvelVOh91qixxru.gif

I can remember when we didn't HAVE a TV. Our first was a Zenith B&W console about?? 20"" or so

A Bing search comes up with this which is about a 53 model. Ours was actually bought as a trade in We got ONE channel "good" and two others "barely watchable."

Panel below the screen flips down and in there is the various controls, "vertical hold", "horizontal hold" brightness and contrast. We lived in a rural area with poor voltage regulation, and every time the well pump cycled, the horizontal or vertical hold would go ape

42bb33a16817aaabae296465136266db--vintage-television-old-movies.jpg

I remember when the big screens were the size of those big portable rolling cooling fans they use in large shops. I dreaded the first time we moved and had to u haul load that thing. Must have been 200 pounds of just awkward. My kids had those monster thick old school smaller TVs, made a grown man sweat packing upstairs to rooms. I remember the joy that I had taking them all to recycling when flatscreens got way cheaper. Lol. Used my forklift to load it in my truck. Then they have a hand crank lift to get them out. Superbowl specials on t.vs right now at Costco and best buy. Got a two grand t.v for $900. It was cheaper than many of the smaller ones. My wife is not the happiest with the size of it, lol. It will take some time to get used to I think.

I remember being the remote control, not much watching when I was a kid. :D

I'd go as big as you like, you say you have the room.

I think room size is something to consider, ie; how far do you sit from the unit. The further away the bigger the unit, IMO.
^^^^^^^this ! distance .
I love the curved screen we have, u can stand almost a full 90 degrees from it and still see it ! Wife can see it in the kitchen while cooking .

The bigger the tv’s get the more I can watch them with out my glasses. Makes me feel young again!

LMFAO!!!!!

View attachment 1715284049

I can remember when we didn't HAVE a TV. Our first was a Zenith B&W console about?? 20"" or so

A Bing search comes up with this which is about a 53 model. Ours was actually bought as a trade in We got ONE channel "good" and two others "barely watchable."

Panel below the screen flips down and in there is the various controls, "vertical hold", "horizontal hold" brightness and contrast. We lived in a rural area with poor voltage regulation, and every time the well pump cycled, the horizontal or vertical hold would go ape

View attachment 1715284050
I'll be a one-upper here, out first TV my Dad built out of parts of TV's and wood and formica! I was three, Saturday mornings my folks still asleep, I was crazy about The Jetsons but the picture woukd start rolling and I'd yell "fix it!" but Then Dad showed me the horizontal hold adjustment.

Last edited:
A relative (who loved to play "doctor") had his Dad finance a home theater upstairs: projector, huge chairs, windows blacked out. He's now doing 40 to life in state prison, he was inviting little girls in to watch the entertainment, but they became the entertainment. He is now watching television under different circumstances.

prison.jpg

My wife is not the happiest with the size of it, lol. It will take some time to get used to I think.

LOL, my Wife didn't want a large screen either (she's old school), I just kept whispering in her ear when she was sleeping (subliminal message :D ) we went shopping for a new unit and wouldn't ya know it, we came home with a 60".

Now I need a plan for a bigger one. :(

Vertical hold (rolling top to bottom) was a much more common issue than horizontal.

I remember around 1978 my uncle bought my grandmother a 25" Zenith console with "space command" ultrasonic remote.

There were about 20 individual analog tuners inside and a sheet of plastic numbers for the user to punch out and use as channel labels.

I also remember going to the drug store to use the tube tester.

Vertical hold (rolling top to bottom) was a much more common issue than horizontal.

I remember around 1978 my uncle bought my grandmother a 25" Zenith console with "space command" ultrasonic remote.

There were about 20 individual analog tuners inside and a sheet of plastic numbers for the user to punch out and use as channel labels.

Hmmm maybe I am not remembering right, it was 55 years ago after all, but I am pretty sure horizontal hold was for when the picture rolled top to bottom. Or maybe the labels were switched on the knowbs but that seems less likely since my Dad was a young engineer at the time.

Hold the phones, stop the presses. Got up this morning and my wife says to me that I should return the t.v I got and get a better higher resolution one in same size at least. Wtf? I'm not sure who this person is but I think I like her!!!!

Exactly. Those were called a "turret tuner." Back in the day one of the amateur radio publications (ARRL/ QST) had a project where you could rework the inductors in a turret tuner and use it for a UHF / VHF converter in front of an HF (lower frequency) receiver

Admiral24A12TunerCleaning.jpg

Back in the '60's Dad bought his first color TV after winning a jackpot in Nevada. It was a Curtis Mathis brand console with turntable on one side and stereo controls on the other side (underneath flip up doors). The foto looks like the model we had (included a remote with buttons that seemed to be spring loaded).

curtis.jpg

-
Back