whats up with the speedometer?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
the speedometer on my car does some weird things. usualy it will just read around 10 over what im actualy doing but then the other day i was doing about 40 and it said i was doing 100 then at 55ish it was pegged at 120. i always thought if there was problems with the speedometer it would be slower or not work at all. why would it read faster? it probaly just needs a new cable rite?

the instrument works sort of like a gyro inside. Probably just needs a good cleaning and lubricating.

were you driving over ice? lol electrical contact cleaner sprayed into the spring will clean it up and not leave a residue

the instrument works sort of like a gyro inside. Probably just needs a good cleaning and lubricating.

If it's fairly quiet while all of this is going on, the problem is usually in the head unit. Make sure the two rotating arms aren't making contact with the bell they rotate around. I prefer to use 3 in 1 or WD-40 (not in the aerosol) in this area.

If it sounds like there's a bird trying to beat its way through the firewall, the problem is the cable. I'll run a little bit of powdered graphite down the cable then make sure there are no sharp bends in it. Also be sure you get a good connection with the speedometer drive at the head unit.

-
Back