What's whining trans or rearend?

-

buck351

Reaction score
Ok I could use some input. There's a whine when I'm running in 4th gear that's there as long as the trans is engaged with your foot on or off the pedal. If you put it in neutral, let the clutch out and coast it's quite. Sounds like the whine is coming from the back but since it goes away coasting in neutral I'm not sure it's the 8 3/4 suregrip rearend. 67 GTS 4 speed.

Sounds like back lash on the ring and pinion is wrong. Or a worn pinion bearing. 4th gear is direct straight through the trans so it will bring the rear diff noise to front under load or deceleration.

Sounds like back lash on the ring and pinion is wrong. Or a worn pinion bearing. 4th gear is direct straight through the trans so it will bring the rear diff noise to front under load or deceleration.

Rearend does have over 100,000 miles on it. The original center unit was swapped out at around 60,000 miles. I still have the original and it was working ok at the time. If it is the rearend center unit I was thinking of putting the orignial back in. Just trying to make sure the symtoms are pointing to the rearend center unit and not something else.

I was going to check the play at the yoke of the rearend end. How much play should be there when you turn the yoke back and forth?

Pinion depth is off or worn pinion bearing.

You need to check pinion preload, not pinion play. Axles removed, no load.

I just replaced the pinion and carrier bearings in my truck because of a whining sound but it whined all the time even in neutral. I finally put it up on jack stands and chucked the front tires and spun it up then I could tell where it was coming from. Yours being in 4th gear that might not be a option but I would think if its in the rear you would be able to hear it in first if your outside the car.

spin_prod_206329601

Thru one of the shifter boot screw holes and a 3/16" hole under the back seat.

A differential r&p whine should become audible at a certain speed no matter what gear, trans, etc.. unless there is little or no load, like coasting downhill.
Even a length of heater hose used for listening is better than guessing.

Thanks for the input.

Since I want to put the original pumpkin back in I was mostly just trying to verify that it was the rearend making the noise. The one in the car now came out of another rearend. I was thinking even though the original one only had about 60K on it it would probably be a good idea to have someone check it out before it goes back into the car. I don't remember any problem with the original pumpkin.

-
Back