What's With This 360 ????

-
360 sat for a long time. Engine is stock.We hot tanked it. Cleaned it out again, all good. Honed. New rings,rod bearings,mains, cam bearings and lined up correctly. All clearances .002 with plastic gauges. All plugs accounted for. 2 New hv oil pumps. 2 new oil filters. Primed with drill, 60 lb. Both banks oiling. Started engine, 60 pounds cold, 20/50 Rev tech oil. Once engine warms up oil pressure steadily drops while holding it at 2000 rpm. Less then 10 at idle. Won't get over 25 when we rev it up. Number 7 lifters, intake/exhaust always clicking. All other lifters good. installed new comp hyd. lifters, still number 7 is clicking. Cam, is not wore off. Soaked lifters in oil and pumped them before installing. Rocker shafts are installed correctly. Bottom end of engine solid. We are thinking there may be an internal crack in this block. We've done Many,many Mopar Engines over the last 40 years and haven't seen this before. Give us your thoughts.
just for ***** and giggles did you try a lighter oil ?

How about this? Oversize lifter bores?

Consult the service manual specifications pages for the symbols used.

!!!WHAT!!! ??? You don't have a service manual? Go download one free from MyMopar.com. No, I don't "work there" LOL

Didn't I already ask the guy about lifter bores and he said he used scope guages to measure 'em?

Oversize lifter bores?

We used a telescopic/snap gauge to check the lifter bores. All with in spec. The pan is a stock pan the pick up is stock with the recessed screen aprox. 1/4" the pick up is aprox. 1/4-3/8 " off the bottom of the pan. We ran it,, then. let it sit for aprox. 5 min. thinking the pan may be getting sucked dry. Then upon restart it would only make 25/30 lb. @ 2000 rpm with No. 7 lifters still clicking away. This is the 2nd. new hv oil pump we've tried. Two bad ones ?? possible. Even if the plug behind 1-7 was missing/leaking would it be able to make 60 lb. at cold start up ?

No, I guess not.

At this point, I'll say....don't tell us, "yeah that's good. Checked that..."

Post what your measurements actually were.

How about this? Oversize lifter bores?

Consult the service manual specifications pages for the symbols used.

!!!WHAT!!! ??? You don't have a service manual? Go download one free from MyMopar.com. No, I don't "work there" LOL

A diamond stamp <> on the engine ID pad is for one or more oversized lifter bores.

Didn't I already ask the guy about lifter bores and he said he used scope guages to measure 'em?

No, I guess not.

At this point, I'll say....don't tell us, "yeah that's good. Checked that..."

Post what your measurements actually were.
Hi JOS----- I have a message for you but your in box is full. Thanks.

Eeeet Eees feeeexed
I want to thank everyone who posted and for there Good information the problem has been solved ! Through some misinformation/misunderstanding it was discovered that the plug behind number 7 is missing. Thank you all. Mystery solved !

I want to thank everyone who posted and for there Good information the problem has been solved ! Through some misinformation/misunderstanding it was discovered that the plug behind number 7 is missing. Thank you all. Mystery solved !
You say the galley plug is in the back of 1 through 7 lifter bank?
Did you mag the valley of this block?

Don't mention it...

1310565736166702798doh-hi.png

Along the same lines, had the mystery persisted, I was going to ask if You inadvertently received/installed BB lifters and the groove was coming up out of the bores.......

View attachment 1715098069
Along the same lines, had the mystery persisted, I was going to ask if You inadvertently received/installed BB lifters and the groove was coming up out of the bores.......
May be an argument starter : why did street hemi`s come w/ approx. 3/8" oil pick up to pan clearance? I always have set my engines up w/ 1/4 - 3/8" clearance , (sbc, hemi`s and 440) and never had a problem. The fastest hemi ran 14 yrs in a superstock belvedere b type body. My currant single line swinging system has more than that, I don`t like it to have as much as it does, but works. The pick up and pan were run together on an "old" funny car, and evidently it worked for them before the advent of the latest oil systems. All had hi volume pumps, w/ extra capacity pans.----------Tom Hoover said, at a dragracing seminar in okc, 1/4" minimum, back yrs ago . He said oil could vortex if too close . I HAVE TAKEN "THE GODFATHER OF THE HEMI`S COMMENTS TO HEART! WORKS FOR ME !------

Last edited:
View attachment 1715098069
Actually I had ask my pal about that. We installed the plug behind No.7 that was (missing) and Walla ! It's got 80 lb. cold and 65 at idle hot with Rev Tech 20/50. Thanks

-
Back