Whats wrong with this 440 combo?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
Before I get it all together and Find out I should've used a different part I want the pro's (you guys) to look it over. Here's what I got.

74 duster 3.55 rear end. 4 speed overdrive 833. Rear wheels about 25" tall.
Car will be driven on the street but will go to the strip occasionally.
77 440 block machined .040 over
Used 440 forged crank. Will have turned and polished
Stock 77 rods resized
KB237 pistons
Stealth heads
Eddy rpm intake
windage tray
Stock oil pump
flowtech headers 1 3/4 into 3"
MP 509 cam
Stock rockers

Now a few questions.
1. What carb?
2. How much does it cost and what kind of HP gains will I have if I have my heads/intake ported and polished?
3. Any reason I wont be able to use an 11" 143 tooth flywheel and clutch in my duster?

Before I get it all together and Find out I should've used a different part I want the pro's (you guys) to look it over. Here's what I got.

74 duster 3.55 rear end. 4 speed overdrive 833. Rear wheels about 25" tall.
Car will be driven on the street but will go to the strip occasionally.
77 440 block machined .040 over
Used 440 forged crank. Will have turned and polished
Stock 77 rods resized
KB237 pistons
Stealth heads
Eddy rpm intake
windage tray
Stock oil pump
flowtech headers 1 3/4 into 3"
MP 509 cam
Stock rockers

Now a few questions.
1. What carb?
2. How much does it cost and what kind of HP gains will I have if I have my heads/intake ported and polished?
3. Any reason I wont be able to use an 11" 143 tooth flywheel and clutch in my duster?
I would go with a higher lift cam...it doesn't have to be a Mopar cam....I would look at some better rockers...they will be okay if your running a flat tappet hydraulic cam...why not get a deeper pan and run a HV oil pump..

1. 850 DP or 870 Street Avenger
2. $450-$650 for street port and polished gain a few more horses
3. No Clue

1.750 double pumper
2. You can buy a used one and rebuild it or buy a new one( several FABO members have them for sale) I would port match it to the gaskets, but thats just me
3. No Idea

509 can't go wrong with that cam though

I would go Holley 750 vacuum secondary for the street, mild port on the heads and a nice gasket match on the intake. This combo will work nice on mostly street driven vehicle, a little tuning on the Holley will make it work nice for both applications.

I'd run the Comp XE274H rather than the .509. As for a carb...Edelbrock Thunder AVS 800, Street Avenger 670 VS, or the oldschool 3310 VS Holley would be my choices. On the clutch.. You need the iron bellhousing for the 143 tooth flywheel and 11" clutch, which will not fit your A833OD. No to mention I don't think the A body Z bar for the aluminum bell will alig properly with the iron bell. Not sure on that but I think those are the issues.

I would go Holley 750 vacuum secondary for the street, mild port on the heads and a nice gasket match on the intake. This combo will work nice on mostly street driven vehicle, a little tuning on the Holley will make it work nice for both applications.
nicely said

go with the .528 solid cam 'purple shaft' if you are going the mopar route.

A 750 holley works with lil tuning effort, almost ootb even w/ h stall
A 830/850 makes more power but requires more attention/time in tuning the pump shot when used with 3000+ stall, no big if you're up to it.
Just have to increase the shooter to around 35-42 and start with red or pink cams and go from there.

-
Back