Whats your favorite mech. fuel pump?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I need a decent fuel pump to feed a 650 holley vac sec, on a junkyard 318.

Any suggestions? And do I need a regulator?

I would like to buy something with a little quality and the ability to rebuild it if needed.

Thanks

Carter and Airtex are both good, factory issued, rebuildable fuel pumps. Both supply about 10psi, so they shouldn't need to be regulated on that carb, but I always like a regulator, monitored with a gauge, just for peace of mind.

I bought a carter from summit. Only lasted 3 mo. Not impressed. Now have a holley and it has been fine for 4 yrs, Knock on wood. Could have just been a fluke thing.

I've installed several of the AirTec electric pumps in modern vehicles without a problem.
First mechanical pump I bought with the AirTec brand on it was junk. It's mounting flange wasn't flat or square with the pump arm. The female fitting at line out could be cracked from the body waaay too easily.
Best price I found for Carter was at RockAuto.com

I put a 10 PSI electric pump on a 2 barrel 318 without a regulator and have no issues, so yes it can be done

I need a decent fuel pump to feed a 650 holley vac sec, on a junkyard 318.

Any suggestions? And do I need a regulator?

I would like to buy something with a little quality and the ability to rebuild it if needed.

Thanks

Junkyard 318 ?....Go down to Oreillys,and grab yourself an AIRTEX pump and slap it on. Actually has the same part number as a Carter.This will be the only pump you will need for those green light 318 junkyard blasts.

Something to rebuild/quality ?....Carter "Street Super Pump" #M6902
6 P.S.I operating pressure,no regulator necessary.
Looks like these are getting harder to find. Great pump.

Dont mistake it for the Carter "Strip Super Pump". #6270
Operating 7.5- 8.5+. This is also a great pump,but should be regulated.

-
Back