Wheel Adapters ?? YA or Nay

-

faster4231

Reaction score
I am trying to go from 4 to 4.5 heard alot about these wheel adapters. Thoughts? Just a driver not on track, whats the thoughts of some of our senior members here.

They'll work, just make sure you get ones that are hub-centric. Still not the best option

What is the engine/tranny you are running? I assume it is in an A body? Personally I would not run them. What are your plans? Is it a daily commute? How far? Is this your only car? We have many many questions and we know how to make you talk....

HAHA Slant 6,

I have 2 other cars for daily drivers, this is just a fun project, my first Mopar, its a 75 duster slant 6 225 with stock everything! I just stripped it down to steel this weekend, ahh i love seeing the true american steel. And am getting some minor body work and all the rust cut out around the wheel wells and replaced. I just cant find any 5 on 4" wheels here in California that arent going to cost $1000 any suggestions?

What type of wheel are you looking for? Mags? Craigers? Centerline? Steel wheels with hub caps? Is Town and Country auto wreaking still around?

Mags, centerline or crager, all those are good, I just want like 14 x 6 front to run 215/60/14 and 14x7 or 8 rear to run 245/60/14 ... hmm I dont know town and country auto wreakng I would have to google them... All the above mentioned rims only really come 5 on 4.5 and above unless you "special" order them witch means pay almost double for them

Town and Country was a local Santa Ana wreaking yard off of 4th or 17th street-they use to be the one to go to for older stuff. Look in a Phone book. If I was you I would put a want ad on this site under parts wanted. I would look on Craigs list for local sales. Still have the Recycler coming out on thursdays? That would be another place to look. The size you are looking for is not that uncommon to find. You can also up grade your rear axle and brakes (9" to 10") to the larger bolt pattern. Look here and at the A-bodies web site for info.

Hmm, See 500 on wheels and another $500 min on rubber puts me at more than I purchased the car for lol. I guess in the long run its worth it I was just trying to stay around 600 for everything, I guess pay to play.....

Ok another newby question, backspacing... I have all stock, drums front back , stock suspension. Do I take a measurement of the mounting pad to the inside of fender wall to figure this out? I dont want to pick these up online, have them shiped just to return cause of a stupid newby mistake.

Thanks slant, I take it you were here in Cali for a while huh, you hit everything spot on!

It really SHOULD be large bolt pattern by 75 but I suppose stranger things have happened. Officially I think 73 & later are supposed to be LBP but when the car has drum brakes all around there seems to be some question as to what bolt pattern it'll have. Somebody jump in here....Do all LBP cars have 1/2" studs? Would that be a way to tell? Of course you can always measure the bolt circle to be sure.

i've seen sbp cragers sell cheaper than 600 shipped with tires. if your not in a hurry, i'd say wait and find a sbp wheel that works for you. are you sure you have sbp?

also, i've run wheel adaptors and haven't had a problem, but its up to you.

ya Avarageerod, I saw your sale of the adapters and thats what got me thinking, I just measured the bolt pattern and I am 4" dead on, drums all the way around and I know that this is all orig to the car. I was disappointed I must say, cause you cant find anything on craigslist ect for these. $600 cragers with tires? Wow please show me where I would pick those up in a heart beat. The only wheel/ tire set Ive found was american racing outlaw 14 x 7 and 14 x 8 5 on 4.5 for $500 with new tires 95% tread, thats why I was anxious to get the adapters went out to see the wheels this weekend and they are flawless, but I do prefer good ol cragers.

i have never bought a pair of adapters but my dad use to have an old 70's demon with adapters and he had to pull over all the time and tighten them if i was you i wouldent buy them

I've had a set of bolt on spacers (same idea as adapters, just the same bolt pattern) for the past 6 months or so I think and they seem to have held up well. I've double checked them for tightness and few times and they never seem to have moved any. I got my set off of Ebay for around $60. I only have them on the front though. I would have tried to find rims to fit instead, but I was putting in a wider rear and couldn't find any wheels I liked that had the high backspacing I needed for the rear and the regular backspacing on the front in the same rim, at least not for a reasonable price.

I ran adapters on the back of my Duster back in the 70's. Never had a problem. Tried to use them on tjhe front,but could'nt turn the wheel,without getting into the fenders. I'd suggest a differant route.

I've been running a set of adapters on my Cuda for the past 6 years....Lot's of experience.

1. They're OK on the rear unless you're gonna hammer the throttle...Remember they're bolted, and bolted again....and made of aluminum.

2. They look great, as they "widen" the track of the car....as long as they're good and SNUG (NOT overtightened), the car handles great.

3. On the front, due to the widening of the wheelbase width, you can run into tire rub on the front fender lip.....depends on the tire size and wheel offset, but it can be a problem. I modified my front lip for the adapters.

4. They will LOOSEN regularly.....if you're cruisin' the car, check the nuts and torque them once a month (or a bit longer....depends on the mileage)....When they get loose, you'd swear your front end is gonna fly apart....sounds like a CV goin' bad.

I'd use them again if need be, BUT I'd much rather just run the 4" pattern OR the 4.5 without the adapters. You have to be conscious of them all the time.....just more to worry about.

Nay, I've bought cars with them and they are the first thing to hit the trash can, along with traction bars and lake pipes.

Your car a drum brake car? That would explain the sbp all around. Even Bruce's (7071DartGTReg's) car is a drum brake car and is a '74 and is sbp on all 4 corners

oh and nay on the adapters

-
Back