Wheel Advice?

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Rebuilt the 2bbl carb on my 64 Dart Vert (273) . . . yesterday . . . runs great!!! Reworked the brakes all around last week. Test drive? Runs sweet, brakes great (well, with shoes, anyway00front discs later).

But the 13" stock wheels and tires got to go into storage. Could not take all of that shaking from the 20 year old tires! :)

So, I have no idea about wheels in even the remotest . . . want to put the biggest wheels on I can so I can buy new tires on them without reworking brakes or fender wells . . . from my reading here that looks like 235/60R/14 ??

But what wheels? Backspacing, slots, etc. I have no understanding of even what "backspacing" is or what it should be on any wheels I purchase . . . see, I am really a NUG (new guy). :)

So, 14x6, 14x7, 14x8, or ?????

I want to get away from wheel covers and rims, etc. Want to find a set that looks period correct . . . I will buy a used set when I find them . . . but . . . I do not know what size of wheel to get?

Any wheel education is greatly appreciated! What do I need, size, etc, and what should I be on the lookout for for wheels so I can put the biggest tire size on?

The education and help I am getting here on FABO is amazing!

IMAG0128.jpg

14" was an option. You can find all sorts of 13" tires too. You still have small bolt pattern, you can only use stock steels, slots, rallyes or cragers. If you plan to upgrade to discs and a larger rearend in the future, don't waste your money, because they wont fit if you go with late 70's brakes.

14" was an option. You can find all sorts of 13" tires too. You still have small bolt pattern, you can only use stock steels, slots, rallyes or cragers. If you plan to upgrade to discs and a larger rearend in the future, don't waste your money, because they wont fit if you go with late 70's brakes.

Thanks, Hell_Fish

Yeah, I have the original 13s on there . . . want to get those and the caps off and into storage . . . no interest in 14 inch stock rims . . .

but am interested in slots, rallyes, or cragers . . . just do not know what size wheel I need to get to put the tallest and widest 14s on I can . . . without changing the brakes or rearend . . .

I might change the rearend or upgrade to front dics next year . . . but for now, I want to get this baby on the road for the summer and fall with safe rubber and some good looking pre-owned wheels . . . I can always sell them next year if I upgrade to discs and change out the reared to an 8 1/4.

For now, just want some good looking used wheels in the biggest size I can drop on--least path of resistance . . . just do not know exactly what wheel dimensions I need to look for to buy.

Why don't you look a purchasing the rally rims from a Dart/Duster/Demon? The rims you need are 14x6 with the "small" bolt pattern. They will look good and you can always re-sell them. Many of them out there!

Why don't you look a purchasing the rally rims from a Dart/Duster/Demon? The rims you need are 14x6 with the "small" bolt pattern. They will look good and you can always re-sell them. Many of them out there!

I am learning, Rob, . . . but it is theory for me right now reading threads and asking questions . . . so . . .

What about 14x7 with a small bolt pattern and 4.5 in backspace so that I can fit 235/60R/14s on them?

Would those maximize that wheel well without rubbing, right? Or am I wrong?

Is 14x6 more appropriate than 14x&? What would be the max tire size on 14x6 rims you suggest?

I also think the 14" x 6" rally's for the small bolt pattern is a good solution and will fit the sb pattern Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes. And later if you want to put the large bolt pattern on then rallys should sell quickly.

+1 for the 14inch rally rims . . . I've got a set on my '66 barracuda. They're perfect and fill out the wheel wells "just right". Tires are pretty cheap too, if you go larger than 14 I bet you would have to go with some lo-profile tires which get expensive and don't last as long. With 14s you get get a little more "meat" under there and I bet it would ride a bit nicer too . . .
Cheers!

I also think the 14" x 6" rally's for the small bolt pattern is a good solution and will fit the sb pattern Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes. And later if you want to put the large bolt pattern on then rallys should sell quickly.

So . . . not 14x7? What is the largest size tire I could put on 14x6 rallys?

+1 for the 14inch rally rims . . . I've got a set on my '66 barracuda. They're perfect and fill out the wheel wells "just right". Tires are pretty cheap too, if you go larger than 14 I bet you would have to go with some lo-profile tires which get expensive and don't last as long. With 14s you get get a little more "meat" under there and I bet it would ride a bit nicer too . . .
Cheers!

Do you have a pic of your rally 14s?

Are yours 14x6 or 14x7? What size tire did you put on?

baracudaseesthefirstlightofdayinnea.jpg

I'll go double check the tire size tomorrow and post for you. I think its something like 245/60 R14? lemme get back with you for sure. . .

14x7 sbp, 1 pair has 3-1/2" backspacing and 1 pair has 4" backspacing. 205/70 tires. Rears scrubbed the fender til I replaced the sagging leaf springs with new ones approx 1" higher than stock height. I was very fortunate after a long search the get a good deal on used sbp slot mags from a FABO member. I have since remounted the tires so the blackwalls are out.

I think Rallye's look good on early Darts.

002.jpg

14x6 factory small bolt pattern wheels fit, without any hassles.
Thats why us old farts are telling you to use them, also you can find them used, vs buying new rims.

On my car I am using 205/70/R14 tires, these tires have Much more tread
on the ground than the factory 7.00x13 a V8 car came with.

I would guess 235/60/r14 on the rear is about the limit on 14x6 rims.

I would not use 235/60 on the front, but I am old, and with no power steering
that large a tire, would be hard for me to steer at slow speed.

The first time I was in a Mopar Abody, was in November 1964,
when my Dad bought a new 1965 2 dr sedan Valiant.

The first Abody I owned was a 1965 4 door Valiant, in 1976.

IMAGE1Medium.JPG

I think that some nice lookin mags will reallt improve the looks. I like the ones on this car

IMG_1075.jpg

I'm thinking an original used set of Rallys off of a '72 or earlier A-body which I think were all 14" x 6". There are aftermarket repro ones produced now in wider widths but those would be much more expensive than a usable set of used rims.

I'm thinking an original used set of Rallys off of a '72 or earlier A-body which I think were all 14" x 6". There are aftermarket repro ones produced now in wider widths but those would be much more expensive than a usable set of used rims.

Thanks . . . used set sounds like my target! :)

Could I get 235/60R/14s on a 14x6 rims? Or do I need to go to 14x& rims ?

What I am reading from the threads is that 235/60R/14s would be the biggest widest tire I could get on the 64 Dart GT with stock renewed brakes (which I have already rehabbed)

Don't want to rub or open up wheel wells . . . but do want to maximize.

14x6 factory small bolt pattern wheels fit, without any hassles.
Thats why us old farts are telling you to use them, also you can find them used, vs buying new rims.

On my car I am using 205/70/R14 tires, these tires have Much more tread
on the ground than the factory 7.00x13 a V8 car came with.

I would guess 235/60/r14 on the rear is about the limit on 14x6 rims.

I would not use 235/60 on the front, but I am old, and with no power steering
that large a tire, would be hard for me to steer at slow speed.

The first time I was in a Mopar Abody, was in November 1964,
when my Dad bought a new 1965 2 dr sedan Valiant.

The first Abody I owned was a 1965 4 door Valiant, in 1976.

IMAGE1Medium.JPG

Nice scoot Caveman!

With everybody's help I have come to a few decisions about the biggest that won't rub . . . still stuck on "backspacing" issue . . .

Here is what I know, since I do have Power steering on my 64 Dart GT vert . . .

Pre-owned 14x6 Cragars or slots . . . and put 235/60/14's all the way around (since I have original ps on the V8) . . .

But, what backspacing on the used 14x6's should I be looking for?

If I get the backspacing wrong, I know this won't fly.

And can I get 235/60/14's on 14x6 wheels without rubbing, depending on the backspacing?

I think that some nice lookin mags will reallt improve the looks. I like the ones on this car

Great find, Milo . . .

Exactly the wheel setup I am looking for!!!! Now, if I could just ask the owner size specific questions on those wheels! :)

Atm Im using the American racing outlaw II wheels with the sbp in the back, and bbp in the front. They are 14x7 with 235-60-14s in the back, 205-70-14s in the front. The backspacing is 0, and it fits great! Their really cheap too, like 95 bucks a wheel new.

. . . still stuck on "backspacing" issue . . .

backspacing is measured like this: without a tire on the wheel, lay the wheel face down on the ground. put a straightedge across the wheel lip, then measure from the bottom of the straightedge down to the area where the wheel mounts. that is your backspacing. Increasing backspace effectively moves a wheel farther in towards the centerline of the vehicle by actually pushing the inside mounting face outwards relative to the outer wheel lip.

In an ideal world, the inner mounting face of the wheel would be exactly in the middle, width-wise. this makes for the best possible load-handling scenario. In the real world you often have to "play" with the backspace a little to get the fitment/look you desire.

I think the best thing that you could do to is perhaps make some cardboard mock-ups and test fit them to your car. If you go to www.tirerack.com you can look up tires by size and get the specs on them, i.e. diameter, tread width, section width, recommended wheel size, etc. Use this info to construct your mockups and see what fits best. Then you are ready to make an educated decision about what size wheels and tires to buy. Just remember to try to match the outside diameter as close as possible between the fronts and rears, but NEVER have larger diameter tires in the front than in the rear. It will not affect driveability but it WILL look stupid.
-Tim

Hey Rhetor, check out "Finally got moving on my 64 Barracuda" in the members restoration forum by Fstforward. Looks like he may have some slots he's looking to get rid of soon.

I have 245/60/14 on my 65 on a 14 x 7 wheel. No mini tub,No rubbing ,no problems. I still have room.

-
Back