Wheel alignment

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
So I'm doing a front disc conversion on my 63 GT. Keeping control arms stock but changing the upper and lower bushings and strut rod bushings. I'll definitely need an alignment. I've read some other posts. Looks like -.5 camber and +2.5 caster with minimal toe is about right. Any input on this? I know with one of my B Bodies, there was a modern car that I was told to tell the alignment shop to put into their machine. I haven't found any similar advice for my A body. I guess it's probably more about finding someone old school who knows what they're doing.

Thanks everyone!

So I'm doing a front disc conversion on my 63 GT. Keeping control arms stock but changing the upper and lower bushings and strut rod bushings. I'll definitely need an alignment. I've read some other posts. Looks like -.5 camber and +2.5 caster with minimal toe is about right. Any input on this? I know with one of my B Bodies, there was a modern car that I was told to tell the alignment shop to put into their machine. I haven't found any similar advice for my A body. I guess it's probably more about finding someone old school who knows what they're doing.

Thanks everyone!
What part of Missouri are you in? I’m in between Springfield and Joplin and know a place.

If you're replacing the UCA bushings and keeping the UCA's stock you'll want to use Moog K7103 offset bushings. Don't use them as the instructions show but install them for maximum caster instead. If you do that you should be able to get more like +3.5° of caster. More is better if you can get it but usually with stock arms and the offset bushings about the most you can get is +3.5° to +4°. Depends on your ride height and the rest of your set up.

Otherwise -.5° is right on for camber for typical street car use, you can dial in a little more but keep it under -1° or you'll start seeing camber wear on the tires. As much + caster as you can get, and about 1/16" toe in.

If you're replacing the UCA bushings and keeping the UCA's stock you'll want to use Moog K7103 offset bushings. Don't use them as the instructions show but install them for maximum caster instead. If you do that you should be able to get more like +3.5° of caster. More is better if you can get it but usually with stock arms and the offset bushings about the most you can get is +3.5° to +4°. Depends on your ride height and the rest of your set up.

Otherwise -.5° is right on for camber for typical street car use, you can dial in a little more but keep it under -1° or you'll start seeing camber wear on the tires. As much + caster as you can get, and about 1/16" toe in.

Thanks. I purchased the K7030 cam bolt kit. Sounds like the same thing item, just with the cam bolt. Correct? Thanks for the info.

What part of Missouri are you in? I’m in between Springfield and Joplin and know a place.

I'm near Springfield, having the work done in Republic. I'm not sure I would want to drive it that far. I had planned on getting an alignment right there in Republic, but fill me in. Thanks!

Thanks. I purchased the K7030 cam bolt kit. Sounds like the same thing item, just with the cam bolt. Correct? Thanks for the info.

Now that I look closer, I don't think the cam bolt kits have the same bushings. So I should not use them and get the K7103? Could I still use the new camber bolts and just sell the bushings that came with that kit? Thanks!

Now that I look closer, I don't think the cam bolt kits have the same bushings. So I should not use them and get the K7103? Could I still use the new camber bolts and just sell the bushings that came with that kit? Thanks!

Yeah as far as I know the K7030 kit would come with standard bushings. The K7103 bushings will work fine with the new eccentric bolts.

That said, the pictures of that kit online show eccentric bolts that have flats cut on both sides of the shaft. Factory bolts only have a flat on one side. Cutting the flat on both sides doesn't leave much thread. Those wouldn't be my first choice for eccentric bolts, assuming the ones you get look like the pictures.

Yeah as far as I know the K7030 kit would come with standard bushings. The K7103 bushings will work fine with the new eccentric bolts.

That said, the pictures of that kit online show eccentric bolts that have flats cut on both sides of the shaft. Factory bolts only have a flat on one side. Cutting the flat on both sides doesn't leave much thread. Those wouldn't be my first choice for eccentric bolts, assuming the ones you get look like the pictures.

Thanks. They were just confirmed to be correct for the car, I had no idea about the bolts that were coming out. What bolts would you suggest? I assume I could just use factory bolts with the K7103 bushings.

Thanks. They were just confirmed to be correct for the car, I had no idea about the bolts that were coming out. What bolts would you suggest? I assume I could just use factory bolts with the K7103 bushings.

If the factory bolts are in good condition they can be reused. As long as the threads are good and there’s no big grooves worn in the shaft of the bolt they’re fine.

If they’re not, you can try these from Proforged.
1974 DODGE DART Proforged Chassis Parts 120-10009 Proforged Camber Bolts | Summit Racing
At least from the picture they appear to have only one flat cut in them. And Proforged has been doing a good job with Mopar reproduction parts, I use them over Moog now because of the quality (lousy from Moog, great from Proforged). But as far as I know Moog is the only one making the offset bushings still.

If the factory bolts are in good condition they can be reused. As long as the threads are good and there’s no big grooves worn in the shaft of the bolt they’re fine.

If they’re not, you can try these from Proforged.
1974 DODGE DART Proforged Chassis Parts 120-10009 Proforged Camber Bolts | Summit Racing
At least from the picture they appear to have only one flat cut in them. And Proforged has been doing a good job with Mopar reproduction parts, I use them over Moog now because of the quality (lousy from Moog, great from Proforged). But as far as I know Moog is the only one making the offset bushings still.

Thanks for the suggestion. Agree on Proforged. Just purchased their LCA shaft kit. For now I'll plan on using the factory bolts.

-
Back