Wheel and tire advice for 1967 Dart

-

VintageRacer67

1967 Dart GT 318/Auto
Reaction score
Hey FABO! Okay, I am trying to decide on tire size and wheel back space for my 1967 Dart GT (7 1/4 rear, front 10.95 discs and factory rear Drums, no leaf spring/fender mods).

I know this gets asked a lot, I’ve read a ton of posts and learned a lot. Based on that, I’m thinking 215/65R15 fronts and 255/60R15 rears would work. I saw a post saying this rears are the widest that’ll fit without mods. Can someone confirm these tire sizes are a good choice and what back space front and rear I would need? I’m probably going to order Wheel Vintiques Rallye wheels.

Someone posted this amazing Dart (that apparently belongs to @toolmanmike ) as an example of the rear tire size. I love the looks of it!

2D9DD7DC-7A00-4077-9E4E-008DA4A7BD27.jpeg

Hey FABO! Okay, I am trying to decide on tire size and wheel back space for my 1967 Dart GT (7 1/4 rear, front 10.95 discs and factory rear Drums, no leaf spring/fender mods).

I know this gets asked a lot, I’ve read a ton of posts and learned a lot. Based on that, I’m thinking 215/65R15 fronts and 255/60R15 rears would work. I saw a post saying this rears are the widest that’ll fit without mods. Can someone confirm these tire sizes are a good choice and what back space front and rear I would need? I’m probably going to order Wheel Vintiques Rallye wheels.

Someone posted this amazing Dart (that apparently belongs to @toolmanmike ) as an example of the rear tire size. I love the looks of it!

View attachment 1715857782
Yep. 255/60-15's on 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace.

@toolmanmike if you still have the car would you post some photos of the rear tires from behind showing the space from tire to the leaf and the inside of the inner fender and from the rear and/or below the fender lip to the tire.

I'm not doubting it can be done just want to see how tight it is.

I have 215 70s on the rear of my 67 dart and I feel like I would be hard presses to fit another 2 inched of tire under there.

@toolmanmike if you still have the car would you post some photos of the rear tires from behind showing the space from tire to the leaf and the inside of the inner fender and from the rear and/or below the fender lip to the tire.

I have 215 70s on the rear of my 67 dart and I feel like I would be hard presses to fit another 2 inched of tire under there.
Can do. Give me a bit to get to my laptop.

Close but no rubbing. The passenger side is real close to the wheel opening lip. (If I remember correctly) Less than a finger thickness there.

018 (2).JPG

052.JPG

20160518_173857.jpg

20160520_184340.jpg

20160518_170052.jpg

I’m still doing research on the back space and size for the front. I’ve seen some members recommending 215/65R15, but it seems like they are mostly Duster/Demon/Dart Sport guys. I know the rear wheel wells of these car are larger than my 67 Dart, but are the front wheel wells larger as well? Thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate it.

My 67 from a long time ago.15x7 Factory Chrysler Road Wheels.215/60/15 Front 225/60/15 Rear with plenty of room.

Also ran 235/60/15 on the rear and worked just fine. Stock ride height

IMG_0182.jpg

I’m still doing research on the back space and size for the front. I’ve seen some members recommending 215/65R15, but it seems like they are mostly Duster/Demon/Dart Sport guys. I know the rear wheel wells of these car are larger than my 67 Dart, but are the front wheel wells larger as well? Thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate it.

The front wheel wells are the same at the chassis on all A-bodies. The only differences come from the fender shape and the shape/size of the wheel opening on that fender.

Barracuda’s are the most restrictive for front tire height, the lower front corner of the wheel opening protrudes more and causes issues with taller tires. The lower front corner of Dart and Duster/Valiant are pretty similar, there may be minor year to year differences but I went from ‘74 Duster fenders to ‘71 Dart fenders without a real change in clearance at the lower front corner. Duster/valiant fenders have rear lower wheel opening corners that are much closer than Dart’s, and the ‘72+ Dart fenders have a longer wheel opening than the ‘70/‘71 fenders (dog leg on the later ones is about 1” narrower). But the rear lower corner of the opening isn’t really a tire clearance issue for Darts.

Tire height also really depends on ride height. A 215/65/15 is 26” tall, which is about as tall as you want to go if you’re at stock or lower ride height. It depends on other factors too, like backspace and how wide the tires are. The wider the tire the more important the height will become for front corner clearance.

My 67 from a long time ago.15x7 Factory Chrysler Road Wheels.215/60/15 Front 225/60/15 Rear with plenty of room.

Also ran 235/60/15 on the rear and worked just fine. Stock ride height

View attachment 1715857910
Darter6, thanks for the reply (and the picture). I know you said it was your car from a long time ago… but do you happen to the know the backspace you used on the front 15x7 rim? That tire is just a hair shorter but wider than what I was planning. I like idea of a wider tire for handling.

The front wheel wells are the same at the chassis on all A-bodies. The only differences come from the fender shape and the shape/size of the wheel opening on that fender.

Barracuda’s are the most restrictive for front tire height, the lower front corner of the wheel opening protrudes more and causes issues with taller tires. The lower front corner of Dart and Duster/Valiant are pretty similar, there may be minor year to year differences but I went from ‘74 Duster fenders to ‘71 Dart fenders without a real change in clearance at the lower front corner. Duster/valiant fenders have rear lower wheel opening corners that are much closer than Dart’s, and the ‘72+ Dart fenders have a longer wheel opening than the ‘70/‘71 fenders (dog leg on the later ones is about 1” narrower). But the rear lower corner of the opening isn’t really a tire clearance issue for Darts.

Tire height also really depends on ride height. A 215/65/15 is 26” tall, which is about as tall as you want to go if you’re at stock or lower ride height. It depends on other factors too, like backspace and how wide the tires are. The wider the tire the more important the height will become for front corner clearance.

Wow 72bluNblue, as always you are a Sage of a-body knowledge. Thank you for sharing, that helps clarify things quite a bit!

Wow 72bluNblue, as always you are a Sage of a-body knowledge. Thank you for sharing, that helps clarify things quite a bit!

I dunno about “sage”. I have a bit of an obsession with cramming as much tire as I can on my cars so I follow all the builds with lots of front tire and how they did it. Between that and the front clip swap to clone my Duster to a Demon I figured a few things out.

On that note, a 225/60/15 will fit up front on most cars with the proper backspace. I ran them on my Duster with 15x7’s that had 4.25” of backspace, but that was with BBP brakes. If you’re still 5x4” you might get away with a little less backspace than that.

I dunno about “sage”. I have a bit of an obsession with cramming as much tire as I can on my cars so I follow all the builds with lots of front tire and how they did it. Between that and the front clip swap to clone my Duster to a Demon I figured a few things out.

On that note, a 225/60/15 will fit up front on most cars with the proper backspace. I ran them on my Duster with 15x7’s that had 4.25” of backspace, but that was with BBP brakes. If you’re still 5x4” you might get away with a little less backspace than that.
I like the idea of as much tire as possible as well. I have BBP discs brakes I just installed
on the front too, so 4.25 back space should work for me then.

Proper backspacing is key. My 245's have about 1/2" of room between the spring and the sidewall and require a roll on the rear fender lip.

Are you converted to BBP or sill 5x4?

I like the idea of as much tire as possible as well. I have BBP discs brakes I just installed
on the front too, so 4.25 back space should work for me then.

It should. You may find that you have to adjust the lower front fender to bumper brace if it's not adjusted all the way out. 225/60/15's can be a little tight on some cars depending on the ride height and the body tolerances of your specific car, but it shouldn't be insurmountable.

Proper backspacing is key. My 245's have about 1/2" of room between the spring and the sidewall and require a roll on the rear fender lip.

Are you converted to BBP or sill 5x4?

I have BBP front and 5x4 back. Funky, I know and it’s probably going to stay that way until I eventually replace the rear end.

Rears are P245/60R15 on a 15" X 7" (4 1/4" backspacing) WheelVintiques Rallyes. I surely could have gone with P255/60R15s (they're .4" taller & .4" wider). Factory 8 3/4" rear end with ManciniRacing.com 2800lb springs.

Fronts are P195/75R14 on factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallyes. But, I have SSBC front discs that push the wheels outboard 3/8" if I remember correctly.

1-Hagerty (show off)-3.jpg

Rears are P245/60R15 on a 15" X 7" (4 1/4" backspacing) WheelVintiques Rallyes. I surely could have gone with P255/60R15s (they're .4" taller & .4" wider). Factory 8 3/4" rear end with ManciniRacing.com 2800lb springs.

Fronts are P195/75R14 on factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallyes. But, I have SSBC front discs that push the wheels outboard 3/8" if I remember correctly.

View attachment 1715858046

Thanks for the info and pic Dan. Sharp looking ride you have there!

Here are some photos from my 67 dart.

Tire is 215/70R 14 on stock 14x5.5 steel wheels.

Spring to tire (rear)
PXL_20220124_023551156.jpg

Tire to upper lip (rear)
PXL_20220124_023742788.jpg

Front of tire to front of fender. (Front)
PXL_20220124_023940557.jpg

Also be careful using others backspacing number back spacing can be measured in 2 ways

At the lip if the rim
20190728_183343.jpg

At the tire mounting flat
20190728_183328.jpg

I know technically one is right and one is not but unless you know you could have a 1/2" difference.

Being from California you should have no problem finding a A body 7 1/4" rear with big bolt pattern.
Cost little to nothing. The one in my above photo was free. I also got a 8 1/4 from a 74 Dart Sport for free.
Most I ever paid for a BBP 7 1/4'' was $100 complete.

Being from California you should have no problem finding a A body 7 1/4" rear with big bolt pattern.
Cost little to nothing. The one in my above photo was free. I also got a 8 1/4 from a 74 Dart Sport for free.
Most I ever paid for a BBP 7 1/4'' was $100 complete.

Yeah, thanks for the good advice Darter6. I wish I could. Unfortunately I’m a disabled vet with a lot of medical issues I’m struggling with. So when I said I’d like to eventually swap the rear end, I really meant I hope I will be physical able to do it someday. But that’s probably a pipe dream.

-
Back