Wheel back spacing using a B body 8 3/4

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
Ok so after measuring 5 times it's final I have a 8 3/4 for a B body! From leaf spring centerline to leaf spring centerline it's 44" and from flange to flange it's 55"

Question 1) If I use this 8 3/4 whats the correct back spacing of the wheel I would need to use in order for me not to rub the fender? Whats the largest size wheel and tire combo I can get under it with and without leaf spring relocator kit? The wheels are gonna be either 15's or 16's on a 73 DArt Swinger.

Question 2) since I already have to move my leaf spring perches should I go ahead and do a leaf spring relocator kit?

This car is gonna be a street rod....don't know if that help ya.

If you have a carpenters square you can find out how much clearance you have,and what you can put in the wheel well minus the normal clearances for rim clearance and tire clearance.If the square is placed on the drum,and you check the distance until it touches the leaf,minus at least a inch for clearance,and rotate the square with the drum to see if it touchs any part of the wheel well,inside or out side of the wheel well.Using even a old 15 inch rim,with no tire,what clearance do you have between the rim edge and the leaf.You have to allow at least a inch-inch and a half for tire bulge on either side.In normal conditions you should have about 4.5 inches of back spacing,with this diff its going to be a bit more and you need to check it closely.Now I have installed 275/60R15 tires and 15x8 magnums on a dart and do not rum,they come very close,but do not rum,1/2 clearance in front of the tire,3/16 on the inside of the tire,in the front,next to the leaf.The has more due to the fact that the leafs are angled from rear to front,mrmopartech

[email protected]
450 424 0445

I did it on my 73 Duster and I had to use an 8" wheel with about 5" back space if I recall correctly. I then had to trim the wheel well lip a little as it would rub when you cornered hard.

what wheels are you guyz running? got any pics?

Jason

-
Back