wheel cylinder rebuild question

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hello.

My 70 DUster with 9 inch drum brakes failed its safety partially due to a leaking RF wheel cylinder.

Is it pretty straight forward and quick to rebuild it with a kit? Any tricks to it?

thanks for any info.

The Big E

PS. I was in a hurry to get the Duster on the road so I ordered a whole new wheel cylinder to make things faster and easier...but this failed because the threads for the brake line in the new cylinder were one size bigger than the brake line fitting!!!

Can't just put in an adapter??
Hello.

My 70 DUster with 9 inch drum brakes failed its safety partially due to a leaking RF wheel cylinder.

Is it pretty straight forward and quick to rebuild it with a kit? Any tricks to it?

thanks for any info.

The Big E

PS. I was in a hurry to get the Duster on the road so I ordered a whole new wheel cylinder to make things faster and easier...but this failed because the threads for the brake line in the new cylinder were one size bigger than the brake line fitting!!!

Yes and No – it is easy to hone the cylinder out and put in new rubber seals but if you have never rebuilt one before you may not be able to recognize if rebuilding it is possible. It comes down to knowing if the corrosion in the cylinder (there is always corrosion) will extend beyond the seals and leak after it’s rebuilt. Suggest you use a new one.

Thanks for the info.

An adapter would have worked I guess but it would have moved where the metal line from the back of the cylinder attaches to the flex line through the hole in the support bracket. I thought that this would not have been a good move??

I was able to rebuild it, it worked and passed the safety today. There was very little rust in the bore. The hone did its job well.

The Big E

Yes and No – it is easy to hone the cylinder out and put in new rubber seals but if you have never rebuilt one before you may not be able to recognize if rebuilding it is possible. It comes down to knowing if the corrosion in the cylinder (there is always corrosion) will extend beyond the seals and leak after it’s rebuilt. Suggest you use a new one.
I agree, hone it and see how much pitting is left.

I've had a few start leaking in the past. Each time I just cleaned out the gunk inside the boots without taking it apart. It stopped leaking.

I didn't know anybody rebuilt cylinders anymore, seemed to me that new ones are not much more than the kits.

The big thing is to hone it and inspect the bore for pitting. This is a judgement call.

Be careful with "adaptors." You might have something odd like a mis-boxed cylinder, and you might have a front one that's designed for a direct screw in hose with a copper gasket, rather than a metal tube with inverted flare seat. You might get "something" screwed together, alright, but not properly seal.

if your brake line doesn't fit the new wheel cylinder they must have gave you the wrong one...??

don't rebuild wheel cylinders there only $20 each and a kit isn't worth much less, if your time is worth anything you can't build one for $5 difference

I looked up the cost of wheel cylinders on Rock Auto and this is what I found. For the cost of new ones, I wouldn't mess with rebuilding your old ones.

CENTRIC Part # 13463016 Premium Wheel Cylinder
Front Left; 9" Drums; w/Front Drum brakes; w/Rear Drum brakes

Part Image
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
$14.17
CENTRIC Part # 13463017 Premium Wheel Cylinder
Front Right; 9" Drums; w/Front Drum brakes; w/Rear Drum brakes

Part Image
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
$14.17
RAYBESTOS Part # WC37103 Professional Grade; 1" Bore
Front Left; 9" Brakes

Part Image
$18.00
RAYBESTOS Part # WC37102 Professional Grade
Fr

............'n not only the small cost difference, when 's all said 'n done, if the "rebuild" leaks, you don't have a warrantee. A new cylinder take the thing back

Well it is all Dart Gone Fishing fault! I'm just one of the blind being lead around by the nose. I really need to start looking at the dates.

I always rebuild my own. It takes a LOT of pitting to make them useless. Just take one apart. They are self explanatory.

I always rebuild my own. It takes a LOT of pitting to make them useless. Just take one apart. They are self explanatory.

Why would you? I just bought both rears for my 8 1/4 rear from Rock Auto. Raybestos brand new for $ 5.62 ea. Some things are worth rebuilding and some aren't.

Guys this thread is from

04-27-2009

and in the fourth post he rebuilt it.

well then, it is past due for an update, isn't it?
did the rebuild work, or did it start leaking?
and what about the replacement cylinder, did the auto parts store get him the correct one, or was he forced to find an adapter?
and what was the butler doing with the next door neighbor behind the garage at 3:00 AM????
inquiring minds want to know :coffee2:

and what about the replacement cylinder, did the auto parts store get him the correct one, or was he forced to find an adapter?
and what was the butler doing with the next door neighbor behind the garage at 3:00 AM????

Read post #4.

As a mid 80's- mid 90's wrench, my own stuff: Rebuild, what came off the car.You know it fits,no issues.As a parts guy,I get feisty, to make crappy aftermarket match.

Ha Ha. The rear wheel cylinders are really cheap. Its the front ones that are much more expensive for some reason. I think I'll flush out my brake lines soon. Get rid of whatever's in there.

Why would you? I just bought both rears for my 8 1/4 rear from Rock Auto. Raybestos brand new for $ 5.62 ea. Some things are worth rebuilding and some aren't.

I would rather trust my brakes to rebuilt boni fide Chrysler wheel cylinders as compared to questionable chinkesium from overseas. Just my personal preference.

Oh and why would I? Because I am a mechanic and I actually enjoy fixing things like new again instead of giving up and just replacing it. It's all about the sense of accomplishment.

I flushed the lines out a few days ago. Found another wheel cylinder that had fluid behind the boot. I drained it and cleaned it.

Checked it today and no leaks.

Reading this post made me think of the end of each episode of the tv series "Soap"

Rebuild kit is $3.

About 1/2 hour labor.

100% on pit depth judgement.

Cyl hone- $20+-

Satisfaction- priceless

just my experience-- had a 67 chebby some years ago-- had to get home-- rear cylinder leaking-- no one open-- took some emery cloth & a finger-- cleaned up the cylinder with that-- brake kleen & re-used the old parts, made it home & didn't replace that cylinder for some time-- Lawrence

-
Back