Wheel Date Code

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My fender tag says 510. My car is a 70 so it was born on 5/10 of 71. Is it possible to have at least one wheel dated 5/26 of 71? I have only checked one other wheel and it's dated 4/26 of 71. Will check the other two later.

Nope. Wheel manufacture as well as all the other parts if you want to be correct about it, will pre date the vehicles manufacturing date. It would make no sense at all to build it, then say whoah, hold up this one car for about 2.5 weeks till we get some more wheel rims to come in. Assembly lines just dont work that way. Especially with the amount of A bodies being manufactured daily in that timeframe. Plus the car is now 50 years old. In other words, anything is possible as far as stuff getting swapped around from after the vehicle manufacturing date on up till now.

Heck, I have heard of these cars getting different parts other than what they were ordered with just to kick em out the door. Stuff like upgraded mirrors, rims, crap like that. Heck even some of the 68 valiants got rallye dashes factory installed in them because of a strike at the plant that made the valiant dash that year. To keep the assembly line moving they stuck barracuda dashes in a bunch of em. Then Chrysler sent TSBs to all the dealers about the barracuda rallye dash in some of the valiants.

Last edited:
Nope. Wheel manufacture as well as all the other parts if you want to be correct about it, will pre date the vehicles manufacturing date. It would make no sense at all to build it, then say whoah, hold up this one car for about 2.5 weeks till we get some more wheel rims to come in. Assembly lines just dont work that way. Especially with the amount of A bodies being manufactured daily in that timeframe. Plus the car is now 50 years old. In other words, anything is possible as far as stuff getting swapped around from after the vehicle manufacturing date on up till now.

Heck, I have heard of these cars getting different parts other than what they were ordered with just to kick em out the door. Stuff like upgraded mirrors, rims, crap like that. Heck even some of the 68 valiants got rallye dashes factory installed in them because of a strike at the plant that made the valiant dash that year. To keep the assembly line moving they stuck barracuda dashes in a bunch of em. Then Chrysler sent TSBs to all the dealers about the barracuda rallye dash in some of the valiants.
I'll drink to that!!!

My fender tag says 510. My car is a 70 so it was born on 5/10 of 71. Is it possible to have at least one wheel dated 5/26 of 71? I have only checked one other wheel and it's dated 4/26 of 71. Will check the other two later.
I'm all screwed up. None of my wheels are date correct. My car was built in May of 70. My wheels are dated 71. The ones I have checked anyways.

Wheel and tire swaps at dealership level were normal. Especially on a car that did not have the right options to sell right away.

plenty of cars rolled off the dealer lot different than how they were ordered.

Wheels get damaged, and in 50 years it is likely that some were replaced.

If it's not a concours show car, and all your wheels match nicely on the car but not necessarily by date code who cares just drive it.

gtgto, i get it ,believe me i do.... im doing a numbers GTX and it gets obsessive .... i dont have an answer for your wheel question i just wanted you to know that there is like minded individuals out there playing the number and date code game .. hehehe good luck and keep at it and i will too...Rich

gtgto, i get it ,believe me i do.... im doing a numbers GTX and it gets obsessive .... i dont have an answer for your wheel question i just wanted you to know that there is like minded individuals out there playing the number and date code game .. hehehe good luck and keep at it and i will too...Rich
The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a sickness. I will admit it all day long. I don't even have a car that is very desirable. To me it is and that's all that matters

My fender tag says 510. My car is a 70 so it was born on 5/10 of 71. Is it possible to have at least one wheel dated 5/26 of 71? I have only checked one other wheel and it's dated 4/26 of 71. Will check the other two later
Where are you getting the date code on the wheel?

The wheels on my 67 dart are OEM.

There is a possibility the 1 wheel was replaced in the 80s, there was a 1 in 5 chance that the only wheel I don't have a tire mounted on happens to be the possible replacement?

If the 822 is the date code then the wheel would have been made 10/28/63 (according to: Chrysler's 10,000-Day Calendar) 4 years before build date of car seems a bit much.

The other number is J1 September 61 or 71?

(On a side note I bought 4 wheels reported to have been on a 66 barracuda, 14x4.5 only numbers inside are 821 = 10/27/63 and J3 September 63 or 73.)

The stamping look the same as the 5.5 wheel I posted

I'm suspecting that 821 and 822 are the part number, the J1 or J3, plant and shift?
15992288786118530998788482393420.jpg

Where are you getting the date code on the wheel?

The wheels on my 67 dart are OEM.

There is a possibility the 1 wheel was replaced in the 80s, there was a 1 in 5 chance that the only wheel I don't have a tire mounted on happens to be the possible replacement?

If the 822 is the date code then the wheel would have been made 10/28/63 (according to: Chrysler's 10,000-Day Calendar) 4 years before build date of car seems a bit much.

The other number is J1 September 61 or 71?

(On a side note I bought 4 wheels reported to have been on a 66 barracuda, 14x4.5 only numbers inside are 821 = 10/27/63 and J3 September 63 or 73.)

The stamping look the same as the 5.5 wheel I posted

I'm suspecting that 821 and 822 are the part number, the J1 or J3, plant and shift?
View attachment 1715589618
The date code is to the left and right of valve stem

upload_2020-9-4_12-54-2.png

-
Back