Wheel Dollies

-

Reaction score
Can anyone clue me in on what I may have done wrong here.

I picked up 4 of these ( similar style ) wheel dollies http://s675.photobucket.com/user/jhason2/media/wheeldollies_zpse491848a.jpg.html from a place I was working at that was going to toss them cause they were abused badly and the wheels themselves were all messed up.

I cut off the remains of what was left of the casters and bought 16 of these wheels ( similar style ) http://s675.photobucket.com/user/jhason2/media/medium-duty-dolly-casters_zps87c10f22.jpg.html from Harbor freight.

I did not get the cheapest I could find. I bough the heaviest 4 or 5 inch wheels they had rated for the heaviest load. They all swivel 360 degrees. They were rated at something like 400 pounds a piece.

When I put a car on top of them and try to move it the individual casters on each dolly just work against each other, one will turn one way and the other just wont turn at all ect. They just bind against each other. The car just will not budge without alot of brute strength ( AKA a big fat *** ) pushing against it hard.

Looking at pictures on-line of wheel dollies it seems like using wheels that rotate 360 degrees is just fine, is this just a case of cheap casters that need to go or should I be using two stationary and two swivel per dolly? That dosent seem to make much sense to me though.

Are the casters you bought made with ball bearings in the swivel? If not, that could be the issue.

Most of Horrid Freight's casters aren't very good as far as I am concerned. Are you on real smooth concrete?
Yes, real smooth, now that I think about it I have tried them with no load at all and its the same scenario, one wheel will with enough force rotate in the direction I want it to and the others fight every bit but will eventually also turn and then the dolly can be creeped along but god forbid I change direction.

I guess I am trying to confirm that yes typically on a wheel dolly all 4 casters do rotate 360 degrees.

I know Harbor freight stuff is junk but these casters were not cheap still and now that I have welded them to the dollies I cannot cut them off an return them. Disappointing to say the least. Just guessing since its been a while but thats prob. about 75 dollars thrown out the window plus now my time to cut them off and find a better replacement.

You might need steel wheels, they will probably turn a little easier on the concrete.

Yes, real smooth, now that I think about it I have tried them with no load at all and its the same scenario, one wheel will with enough force rotate in the direction I want it to and the others fight every bit but will eventually also turn and then the dolly can be creeped along but god forbid I change direction.

I guess I am trying to confirm that yes typically on a wheel dolly all 4 casters do rotate 360 degrees.

I know Harbor freight stuff is junk but these casters were not cheap still and now that I have welded them to the dollies I cannot cut them off an return them. Disappointing to say the least. Just guessing since its been a while but thats prob. about 75 dollars thrown out the window plus now my time to cut them off and find a better replacement.

There are some things at HF that is junk no matter what you pay for them.

I pick up good quality casters at auctions such as university auctions, government auctions and warehouse auctions. I have to buy what ever they are attached to but I can usually get them fairly cheap.

How does one make a cheap caster? I mean roller bearings are there. My only guess is that the bearings become heavily pinched when under heavy load stopping them from rotating.

That does not explain why they are difficult to maneuver when not under load when they are used in unison with other casters.

Someone said earlier...........the material the wheels are made from might be an issue. If you do not have all 4 "plum" on their pivots might be a problem.

Have you got any lube on the swivel balls?

I bought a set of 4 dollies from HF and they don't work that bad. I would not call them "perfect" but considering the price, etc, they are workable.

How does one make a cheap caster? I mean roller bearings are there. My only guess is that the bearings become heavily pinched when under heavy load stopping them from rotating.

That does not explain why they are difficult to maneuver when not under load when they are used in unison with other casters.

Junk metal that isn't round for the balls and the other surfaces not being machined smooth for the balls to rotate on.

I have a pair of Gojacks and they work fabulous. I bought the pair very reasonable at an auction and had to replace a couple of casters. The casters cost me around $70 for a pair but they are worth it for as good as they work. I would love to find a second pair at an auction but it hasn't happened yet.

If you look at the Gojack picture you will see that the wheel isn't offset from the center pivot as much as the casters you posted.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 570
  • $(KGrHqYOKm8E6IOJqMbiBOseeH(bWg~~60_35.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 557
Someone said earlier...........the material the wheels are made from might be an issue. If you do not have all 4 "plum" on their pivots might be a problem.

Have you got any lube on the swivel balls?

I bought a set of 4 dollies from HF and they don't work that bad. I would not call them "perfect" but considering the price, etc, they are workable.
I didnt get the soft material, there were two choices, soft material ( junk inexpensive ) and the more expensive hard material.

I will try some lube and see what happens.

Junk metal that isn't round for the balls and the other surfaces not being machined smooth for the balls to rotate on.

I have a pair of Gojacks and they work fabulous. I bought the pair very reasonable at an auction and had to replace a couple of casters. The casters cost me around $70 for a pair but they are worth it for as good as they work. I would love to find a second pair at an auction but it hasn't happened yet.

If you look at the Gojack picture you will see that the wheel isn't offset from the center pivot as much as the casters you posted.
This is exactly where I was sorta going, the offset I mean, I have been looking at this as well.

Ive used the go-jacks many times, they even work out in the gravel/pebbles. Tow trucks typically carry these in my experience.

Some casters may be a softer material that takes more effort to move them. IF you welded them on did you connect the ground to the frame or caster, you may have arc'd across the swivel bearing.

I have some of those same casters on a HF dolly I made an engine dolly out of and it rolls like DOG CRAP. It's the casters.

I made my own dollies to act as both wheel dollies and with jack stands. I bought steel wheels with ball bearing swivels from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight) and I have problems rolling them as well. The casters all seem to want to go in different directions.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_1909.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 479
Swivels need to be centered on pivots for a car dolley application where all wheels need to be bi-directionsl. Back to the drawing board, Hack them off and add swivels that are centered on the pivots and the larger the bearing the lower the resistance.

Not sure if I understand your post. My casters look like the ones on the high dollar Gojack picture.

Not sure if I understand your post. My casters look like the ones on the high dollar Gojack picture.

Gojack wheels are 4" in diameter, what are yours? If you look at the bearings, you will see they are equal the center of the wheel.

Attachments

• 2006-B56.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 486
I made my own dollies to act as both wheel dollies and with jack stands. I bought steel wheels with ball bearing swivels from Princess Auto (like Harbor Freight) and I have problems rolling them as well. The casters all seem to want to go in different directions.
You did a great job on these. If you know where we can get 16 reasonably priced casters let me know. I hate to just give up on what I have although I know at this point Id be smarter to just walk away.

Some casters may be a softer material that takes more effort to move them. IF you welded them on did you connect the ground to the frame or caster, you may have arc'd across the swivel bearing.
Good thinking as well but no I dont think so in this case, just bought the swivels that are incorrect for my application. Cant even blame H.F at this point I guess.

If the caster mounting plates are out of level even slightly the casters will all steer in different directions.

-
Back