Wheel hop. 68 383 4 spd

-
Wife dumped the clutch at about 4000 in her 383 '67 Formula S yesterday... there was ZERO hop, she was just GONE! I noted while going over it, that it has 6 leaf per side 064 springs in it out of a 69 Swinger of all things!
1967formulasbaracuda 158.jpg

All of the above suggestions that it's time for new springs are spot-on. I just wanted to add a little information regarding the snubber itself. I'm sure you've seen people say "take that off and throw it away" or "you'd be better off losing that 5 pounds"...... Most snubbers are used incorrectly, and are of very little use to a guy with a street car anyway. In order for the snubber to be of any use, it has to be up against or very, very close to the floorboard of the car. That's not good for a street car, no doubt. MaMopar actually called for the Max Wedge cars, which were really designed for competition straight line acceleration, to run the snubber against the floorboard.
I am firmly in the "pinion snubbers are worthless, throw them away" camp. As said above, unless a snubber is against, or at least VERY close to the floor, it CANT do anything.
If it's against the floor, every bump you hit the snubber makes the ride solid, no suspension, no spring, and beats up the floor of the car. Not good. If it DOESNT contact the floor, how can it DO anything?
If i had one on my car (I certainly dont!) It would do absolutely nothing even if it were against the floor, because on a full power launch, the body of the car raises at least three to four inches (used to be six!) So the glorious wonderful pinion snubber is waving in the breeze, a quarter of a foot away from doing ANYTHING.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I don't think much of pinion snubbers.......

Ok guys thanks for all the input -I know this gets to be a drag with a lot of redundancy etc. - . anyway think I’m on right track.

IMG_1661.jpeg

Pinion snubbers can work fine, but usually with XHD and stronger springs, they really aren't needed. That still doesn't mean they cannot add to.

Good for you.
I have virtually (or, had. I don't remember if I round filed it or just chucked it in a corner) identical adjustable snubber on my car for a while. I was still running the stock 62 springs with three clamps on the front half, and the rears removed. I have video of the rear of the car body raised at least six inches at launch (its on vhs tape, or I'd post the pics) The snubber, which destroyed the ride on the street, ended up being half a foot away from doing anything even tho it was against the floor static.
When I finally realized part of my occasional traction problem was the shocks topping out, and saw the crazy body lift, I put ss springs on it. They cut the lift in half, shocks didn't top out traction became consistent, and the car lost five pounds.

Anti squat. See the tire driven into the track. That is not an under inflated tire.
See the rear of the spring separated? Thats why there is no wheel hop. Hop is from the spring binding against the rear clamps. I agree that pinion snubbers do nothing.
IMG_2474.png

I would replace the 5 leaf spring packs with calvert monoleafs or call ESPO and get a set of factory 383 springs, which is not what is in your car. My GTS has the priginal staggered spring packs with an extra leaf on the passenger side. Factory clamps on front segment, no snubber. QA1 shocks helped tremendously. Car has been 1.6x 60' on an unprepped ttrack w/ water burnout only. No wheel hop unless I come out of the burnout box too hot.

I have also had reproduction bias plys that will wheel hop into the other lane but that's a separate issue.

FB_IMG_1696901029450.jpg

So seriously, Mr Rusty, can I expect to do ok with these. The more I look at mine the more they look like crap…I’m looking at those and thinking of calling ESPO whichever might be better way to go Thanks much
Yeah. Get those. I give the heck up.

Pinion snubbers are more of a fix for weak, or passenger car springs. Once you get into the SS springs it's a different ball game and snubbers are really not effective. In fact, they can counteract some of what the SS springs do. The XHD springs are kinda "in between" regular passenger car springs and the SS springs. Most of the time the snubbers don't add much with them. I've already recommended the XHD springs to you. I think they'll be exactly what you're looking for. You seem hell bent on choosing any and everything else, so good luck.

I’m just looking ant all options out they’re since this subject is new to me so thanks for your suggestions… and patience.

my barracuda convertible 3:23 gears. Stock suspension with a snubber. On takeoff it really hops and bangs. Maybe snubber banging floor? Tires are new and I’m sure grab well vs. spin. I don’t know what to consider first. Any help /suggestions appreciated. Just a street car but if I’m low on RPMs it bogs/stalls and if I run it up there it’s equally embarrassing with hopping etc..

is it an original 383 car? what springs are actually on it? you can call pete are bergman autocraft, he can get you original spec 383 springs.

Do you mean you got the the 1” over stock height ones? To me looks raised front and rear but balanced
Yes those are 1 " over stock. I also have headers that exit underbody so I raised the front a bit for clearance.

I am firmly in the "pinion snubbers are worthless, throw them away" camp. As said above, unless a snubber is against, or at least VERY close to the floor, it CANT do anything.
If it's against the floor, every bump you hit the snubber makes the ride solid, no suspension, no spring, and beats up the floor of the car. Not good. If it DOESNT contact the floor, how can it DO anything?
If i had one on my car (I certainly dont!) It would do absolutely nothing even if it were against the floor, because on a full power launch, the body of the car raises at least three to four inches (used to be six!) So the glorious wonderful pinion snubber is waving in the breeze, a quarter of a foot away from doing ANYTHING.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I don't think much of pinion snubbers.......
But Uncle phony loves them lol

These springs and caltrac bars will most likely fix you.
Agree. But a Hella expensive fix for a street car. Summit traction bars will stop the wheel hop too.... for a little over 50 bucks. ("Slapper bars").
Edit: I put an identical pair to what summit sells on my four speed LT1 powered 57 chevy, 40 years ago. Still no wheel hop. They were around $20 at the time.
Literally a 15 minute install. It took longer to jack the car up and down.

So took off the rear clamps - wound up to about 3600 and let it go. Holy crap! Nothing but a long burn and grab and go. Really go. Rear raised up and flew- no thumping or hopping or anything. No.1 I’ve been to too easy on my new clutch and this rebuilt A833. Must need this kind of love now and then Anyway I’m leaving well enough alone for now and ordering springs but have to careful which ones because

IMG_1754.jpeg

I really want to keep current stance. Thanks for all the tips in this thread.

-
Back