Wheel hop!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
Last year I had a major issue with wheel hop. I was leaving from idle and if I launched any harder it would spin bad. Currently it has air shocks and stock springs. I was going to switch to ss springs and rancho shocks. I was also considering going to traction bars. Any suggestions? Btw this is with street tires ;)

Caltrac setup would fix it but it's expensive...

Stock setup, get a good set of front and rear shocks, preferably adjustable. I use QA1's. Clamp front segments. Adjustable pinion snubber. Cut clamps of rear of springs. This hooked my car hard with a 500hp 440 up front.

The air shocks,don't really help transfer... Are the air shocks on there for tire clearance, or to support a weak set of leaf springs? Replace the springs if shot,Roccodart has a good solid plan.(shocks,spring mods). Calvert's are top notch for E.T's/traction,spendy....

What happened to millners coupe abodybomber? I was lookin at the rancho 9000 and it says they are truck shocks? Would calverts be better?

Last year I had a major issue with wheel hop. I was leaving from idle and if I launched any harder it would spin bad. Currently it has air shocks and stock springs. I was going to switch to ss springs and rancho shocks. I was also considering going to traction bars. Any suggestions? Btw this is with street tires ;)

I'm going to guess too firm in the rear with air in the shocks, I'll bet it doesn't wheel hop when you launch higher and spin. I think the car is hopping because of A) chassis "issues" and B) tire is half hooked so load unload load etc.

I have more requests, for Milner...The first thing: what's your budget?. The 9000 Rancho's ,have been discontinued, as far as I know(most lengths ). The Calverts are awesome,for pure dragstrip E.T. The 9000 Rancho's,work well,with the Caltrac's.
Hit this for updates...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...94LQCA&usg=AFQjCNE-ug40d25Fhwp7z5hu3ybDw8yRdw
You really want to go fast,check this out. I run S.S. springs(002-003,no snubber.275/60/15 BFG Drag Radial.Done me well.

I'm going to guess too firm in the rear with air in the shocks, I'll bet it doesn't wheel hop when you launch higher and spin. I think the car is hopping because of A) chassis "issues" and B) tire is half hooked so load unload load etc.

Good points.... Getting rid of the air shocks,might stabilize this. I wouldn't count on it Some rubber lay down pictures, would help,video of chassis in action,priceless.

With air in the shocks it spins pretty much no matter what. I let the air out and it goes to wheel hop but gives me a better sixty foot time. I'm not to worried about a budget right now... Pretty much keep both shocks under 300 and whatever the springs will cost. I'm going to be running slicks this year and the car will be mostly a strip car with the occasional trip around town...nothing farther then say twenty miles.

Just checked calverts website and maybe I will do the cal tracs. For some reason I was under the impression it was around 600 for the bars.

With air in the shocks it spins pretty much no matter what. I let the air out and it goes to wheel hop but gives me a better sixty foot time. I'm not to worried about a budget right now... Pretty much keep both shocks under 300 and whatever the springs will cost. I'm going to be running slicks this year and the car will be mostly a strip car with the occasional trip around town...nothing farther then say twenty miles.

Just checked calverts website and maybe I will do the cal tracs. For some reason I was under the impression it was around 600 for the bars.

Spend 30-40 bucks, buy yourself a Mopar/Direct Connect chassis manual.Understand the basics,bore you buy unknown equipment. Learn the basics,first. Don't buy parts,uneducated.

Caltrac setup would fix it but it's expensive...

Stock setup, get a good set of front and rear shocks, preferably adjustable. I use QA1's. Clamp front segments. Adjustable pinion snubber. Cut clamps of rear of springs. This hooked my car hard with a 500hp 440 up front.

do as this man says. it works very well, and does even better when slant 6 torsion bars are used.

I plan on it. This will all be around late spring hopefully. I'm getting my motor back together this weekend and plan on saving up some more cash for the chassis. I have no shortage of mopar books so I don't see what the big deal would be if I got another one.

Just ordered the mopar performance chassis book. As soon as my motor is wrapped up and I'm done using the building hot rod small block mopar book I'll start with the chassis book.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

The Rancho shocks are the same as the Calvert rear shocks. I think Calvert racing bought the rights to them a few years back. Yes, the full Caltrac setup will run you about $1000 (links, mono leafs, shocks), but just the link is "only" about 340 bucks. Honestly though, it sounds to me like you have some really old weak springs back there...I would get the Caltrac mono leafs too if it was me, rather than trying to band-aid the issue....JMO.

Some sticky tires would be good too.

Good advice /\ /\ /\

If you go caltrac get the whole system springs and all.

The Rancho shocks are the same as the Calvert rear shocks. I think Calvert racing bought the rights to them a few years back. Yes, the full Caltrac setup will run you about $1000 (links, mono leafs, shocks), but just the link is "only" about 340 bucks. Honestly though, it sounds to me like you have some really old weak springs back there...I would get the Caltrac mono leafs too if it was me, rather than trying to band-aid the issue....JMO.

Some sticky tires would be good too.

What if I did the ss 002/003 with the Calvert shocks and went to the Cal trac bars later on down the road? Just realized I need to get a truck to pull the trailer:(

What if I did the ss 002/003 with the Calvert shocks and went to the Cal trac bars later on down the road? Just realized I need to get a truck to pull the trailer:(

If you are going to run caltrac bars, run their springs. I've talked to them on the phone at length about this. blending the SS setup and the catrac setup will work but it isn't the most ideal.

If you are going to run caltrac bars, run their springs. I've talked to them on the phone at length about this. blending the SS setup and the catrac setup will work but it isn't the most ideal.

X2, don't mix the 2 technologies....either go with SS springs, or go with the Caltrac stuff. They both work, but they work differently....just one example of this: SS springs you want something like 7° down on the pinion, where as Caltracs you want 2-3° down on the pinion.

I also have home made caltracks with stock leaf springs. I have had a best 60 ft of 1.33 on a 315/60 M/T Drag radial. Small block on motor.

-
Back